Royal Academy Professor of Chemistry
The death occurred at Shelsley, Kew Gardens, on Monday, of Sir Arthur Herbert Church, Professor of Chemistry at the Royal Academy.
He was born on June 2, 1834, the youngest of four brothers, sons of John Thomas Church, a solicitor, of Bedford-row, London. He was educated at King's College and the Royal College of Chemistry and at Lincoln College, Oxford, where he took a First Class at the Natural Science School. In 1879 he was appointed Professor of Chemistry in the Royal Academy of Arts, and the following year became lecturer on Organic Chemistry at Coopers Hill College. For six years preceding his appointment to the Royal Academy professorship he held a similar position in the Cirencester Royal Agricultural College.
Sir Arthur Church was a leading authority in the chemistry of painting, and gave valuable assistance in the work of preserving the paintings in the Houses of Parliament. He had himself exhibited at the Royal Academy. He was the discoverer of turacin, an animal pigment containing copper, and of several mineral species, including the only British cerium mineral.
Sir Arthur published many books on agricultural chemistry, and also wrote on earthenware and precious stones. His "Laboratory Guide for Agricultural Students" has run into eight editions, and he also printed the results of his researches on vegetable albinism colein, and aluminium in vascular cryptogams. He was elected fellow of the Chemical Society in 1856, and of the Royal Society in 1888, and was created K.C.V.O. in 1909. For three years he was president of the Mineralogical Society.Sir Arthur Church married in 1879 Jemima, younger daughter of Mr. J. B. Pope.