Winston Churchill to Franklin D. Roosevelt (May 29, 1941) 10 p.m.
- This telegram must be
- closely paraphrased be-
- fore being communicated
- to anyone. (SC)
Dated May 29, 1941
Rec'd l0 p.m.
- Secretary of State,
- 2200, May 29, midnight. (SECTION THREE)
- We should welcome collaboration with an American
- token force, before, during or after occupation of
- Atlantic Islands and if you wish would turn them over
- to you as a matter of mutual war convenience.
- Four. We should naturally welcome United States
- occupation of Dakar, and would afford all facilities
- in our power. We have some rather costly experience
- and knowledge of this place. Surest method by landing
- tanks from specially constructed vessels on neighboring
- beaches. I suggest that immediate consultation between
- your officers and ours should be given to make a workable
- plan, and have it ready in case circumstances should
- require its use. (END MESSAGE)