Woman of the Century/Eliza C. Morgan Hendricks
HENDRICKS. Mrs. Eliza. C. Morgan, social leader and philanthropist, born near North Bend, a suburb of Cincinnati, Ohio. 22nd November, 1823. She is the widow of the late Vice-President Thomas A. Hendricks. Her father was Hon. Isaac Morgan. The love of nature, which is one of Mrs. Hendricks' characteristics, was fostered ELIZA C. MORGAN HENDRICKS. by her early surroundings. The large and attractive homestead, in which she first saw the light, adjoined that of Gen. William Henry Harrison, and both dwellings were noted for their fine outlook. Mrs. Hendricks is connected with some of the leading families of Cincinnati, and it was in that city she made her debut in the social world. She was married 26th September, 1845, and since that time she has resided in Indiana. Her first Hoosier home was in Shelbyville, in which place her husband was then engaged in the practice of law. They removed to Indianapolis in 1860, where he practiced for some years as a member of the law firm of Hendricks, Hord & Hendricks. Mrs. Hendricks was fond of domestic life and was the administrator of the household, saving her hust>and from all unnecessary annoyance or responsibility, and in many other ways was she his true hefp-meet. Her husband depended much upon her judgment. Often, while an occupant of the gubernatorial chair when perplexed over applications for the pardon of criminals, did he call her into the conference, in order to avail himself of her intuitive perception of the merits of the case. Mrs. Hendricks' love of nature leads her to spend much time in the culture of Howers, in which she has much success. She has a great penchant for pets. Her fondness for horses led to that close observation of them which made her a good judge of their qualities, and it was she, not her husband, who always selected the carriage horses. A few years after her marriage, her only child, a bright and beautiful boy, died. Mrs. Hendricks was not onlv the light of her husband's home life, but, wherever nis official duties called him, he was accompanied by her, and when he twice visited the Old World, in quest of health, she was his faithful companion. The great sorrow of her life was his death, which occurred in November, 1884. Since that event she has sought assuagement for grief and loneliness in a quickening of activities, especially in the lines of charity. Her most prominent philanthropic work was her persevering efforts, with other earnest women, to establish a "Prison for Women and Reform School for Girls." In answer to earnest and persistent solicitation on their part, the State Legislature made an appropriation, and in 1883 the building was erected. That institution has, from its beginning, been under the entire control and management of women. For some years it was the only one of its kind in the country. Mrs. Hendricks has, from its beginning, been the president of its board of managers. Be- fore her marriage she connected herself with the Methodist Church. Her husband, the son of an elder in the Presbyterian Church, was strongly Calvinistic in faith. They both had a leaning toward the Episcopal form of worship, and together they entered that communion. Mrs. Hendricks is now living in Indianapolis.