Woman of the Century/Elizabeth Langworthy
LANGWORTHY, Mrs. Elizabeth, public benefactor, born in Orleans county, N. Y., 22nd October, 1837. ELIZABETH LANGWORTHY. At twelve years of age she removed with her parents to the West. Her father was of Holland descent and one of the heirs to the Trinity Church property in New York. Her mother was of French descent. Her grandfather was a well-known soldier of the Revolutionary War. She received a liberal education, which was completed in Hamlin University, Red Wing, Minn. From childhood she showed a love for the best in literature and art. In 1858 she became the wife of Stephen C. Langworthy, of Dubuque, Iowa, an influential citizen, whose family was among the early pioneers. In 1861 Mr. and Mrs. Langworthy settled in Monticello, Iowa, where for fifteen years she divided her time between family duties and public work. There she was instrumental in founding a fine public library, and was an efficient leader in sanitary improvements. They removed to Seward, Neb., in 1876, and there she still maintains her interest in public affairs. She was for years a member of the school board and superintendent of the art department in State fairs. She has served as president of many influential societies for improvement, local and foreign, and is at present president of the Seward History and Art Club. She is a member of the Board of Associated Charities of Nebraska. She is a member of the Board of Lady Managers of the World's Columbian Exposition. It was at her suggestion Mrs. Potter Palmer granted to the women of Nebraska the honor of contributing the hammer with which she drove the last nail in the Woman's Building. To her labors is due the raising of the fund for that purpose. She was an observant visitor to the Centennials in Philadelphia and New Orleans, and therefore was better qualified for acting as one of the Board of Managers for 1893. Mrs. Langworthy has reared six children, four sons and two daughters. One of the daughters died recently.