Woman of the Century/Esther Tuttle Pritchard
PRITCHARD, Mrs. Esther Tattle, minister and editor, born in Morrow county, Ohio, 26th January, 1840. She comes from a long line of Quaker ESTHER TUTTLE PRITCHARD. ancestry, and her ministerial ability is inherited from both parents. Her father, Daniel Wood, was an able preacher, and there were a number in her mother's family. A gay girl, strong-willed and ambitious, it was not until the discipline of sorrow brought a full surrender to Christ, that she yielded to what was manifestly her vocation. In early womanhood she became the wife of Lucius V. Tuttle, a volunteer in the Civil War, who had survived the horrors of a long imprisonment in Libby, Tuscaloosa and Salisbury to devote the remainder of his life to the profession of teaching. He died in 1881, and in 1884 Mrs. Tuttle was chosen by the Woman's Foreign Missionary Boards of her church to edit the "Friend's Missionary Advocate," and took up her headquarters in Chicago, Ill. Shortly after her removal to that city she became the wife of Calvin W. Pritchard, editor of the "Christian Worker." She became the proprietor of the "Missionary Advocate" in 1886, and continued to edit and publish the paper with a marked degree of success until the autumn of 1890, when it passed by gift from her hands to the Woman's Foreign Missionary Union of Friends. For the last two years she has been actively engaged as teacher of the English Bible in the Chicago training school for city, home and foreign missions, besides acting as superintendent of the systematic-giving department of the National Woman's Christian Temperance Union. Her talents would compass far more, but frail health imposes limitations upon her work. Her present home is in Western Springs, Ill.