Woman of the Century/Esther W. Taylor
TAYLOR, Mrs. Esther W., physician, born in Sanbornton. N. H., 16th April, 1826. Her parents were Ebenezer and Sally Colby. Eight children were born to those parents, of whom two survive, Dr. Esther and a sister, Dr. Sarah A. Colby, of Boston, Mass. Dr. Taylor received her education in the public schools of her native place and in Sanbornton Academy. After devoting some time to teaching in the public schools, she paid a visit to her brother in Boston, and there made the acquaintance of N. F. Taylor, to whom she was married on 25th January. 1846. One child was born to them, a daughter, who is now Mrs. Charles F. Goodhue, of Boston. In 1855 Mr. Taylor and his family removed to Minnesota, where they spent a few years. After the Indian outbreak in the time of the Civil War, they went to Freeport, Ill., where Mrs. Taylor decided to study medicine. ESTHER W. TAYLOR . She was aided by her husband and had the full sympathy and cooperation of her daughter in her efforts to obtain a thorough medical education. She attended the Hahnemann Medical College in Chicago, Ill., from which she was graduated with honor on 22nd February, 1872. In 1875 she became a member of the Homeopathic State Medical Society of Illinois, and the same year a member of the American Institute of Homeopathy. In 1879 she received a diploma from the Homeopathic Medical College of Chicago. She located for practice in Freeport, remaining there till October, 1880, at which time she removed to Boston to join her sister. In 1881 she became a member of the Homeopathic State Medical Society of Massachusetts. Since her residence in Boston she has enjoyed the full confidence of a large circle of patrons.