- Account of an Expedition from Pittsburgh to the Rocky Mountains, Performed in the Years 1819 and '20, in two volumes (1823)
- "Catalogue of Plants collected during a Journey to and from the Rocky Mountains during the summer of 1820" in Transactions of the American Philosophical Society, series=2, volume=2, pages=172–190 (1825)
- "Remarks on the Sandstone and Fletz Trap Formations of the Western Part of the Valley of the Mississippi" in Transactions of the American Philosophical Society, series=2, volume=2, pages=191–215 (1825)
- A narrative of the captivity and adventures of John Tanner, with John Tanner (1830)
Works about JamesEdit
- "James, Edwin," in American Medical Biographies, (ed.) by Howard A. Kelly & Walter L. Burrage, Baltimore: The Norman, Remington Co. (1920)
Some or all works by this author were published before January 1, 1928, and are in the public domain worldwide because the author died at least 100 years ago. Translations or editions published later may be copyrighted. Posthumous works may be copyrighted based on how long they have been published in certain countries and areas.