In 1858 he became editor of two weekly periodicals, the 'Leisure Hour' (founded in 1852) Internet Archive identifier: leisurehour02unkngoog, Internet Archive identifier: leisurehour00unkngoog, Internet Archive identifier: leisurehour01unkngoog and 'Sunday at Home' (founded in 1864) till 1895. 'Boy's Own Paper' and the 'Girl's Own Paper' were founded in 1879 and edited under his direction.
- Essay on cruelty to animals, 1839 Internet Archive identifier: essayoncrueltyt00macagoog
- Across the Ferry (1871). Internet Archive identifier: acrossferryfirs01macagoog
- Ireland in 1872: a Tour of Observation, with Remarks on Irish Public Opinion (1873)
- Plea for mercy to animals, (1875) (transcription project) Internet Archive identifier: pleaformercytoan00macaiala
- What Great Englishmen have said concerning the Papacy, 1878 (reissued as 'Witness of Great Englishmen,' 1900).
- All True: Records of Peril and Adventure by Sea, 1879 (new edit. 1880).
- History of Scotland: from Agricola's invasion to the union of the crowns. by Alexander Whamond, 1880 contr. Internet Archive identifier: historyscotland00macagoog
- Vivisection, Scientifically and Ethically Considered in Prize Essays, 1881 Internet Archive identifier: vivisectionscie01wallgoog
- Sea Pictures drawn with Pen and Pencil, 1882 (new edit. 1884), a work praised highly by Ruskin.
- Doctor Johnson: His Life, Works & Table Talk, 1884 Internet Archive identifier: doctorjohnsonhi02macagoog
- Gray Hawk: Life and Adventures among the Red Indians, 1883 (reissued 1909), a story founded on fact.
- Stirring Stories of Peace and War by Land and Sea, 1885 (new edit, illustrated in colour by George Soper, 1910).
- Victoria, R.I.: Her Life and Reign, 1887 (5 portraits).
- From Middy to Admiral of the Fleet: the Story of Commodore Anson retold, 1891. Internet Archive identifier: frommiddytoadmir00macarich
- Speeches and addresses of H. R. H. the Prince of Wales: 1863-1888, as editor (1889) (transcription project)
- Strange yet true, n.d. Internet Archive identifier: strangeyettrue00macagoog
- Poems on various subjects, in Scots and English, n.d. Internet Archive identifier: poemsonvariouss00macagoog
Works about MacaulayEdit
- In: The lives of British historians by Eugene Lawrence, 1855 Internet Archive identifier: livesofbritishhi00lawrrich, Internet Archive identifier: livesofbritishhi02lawruoft
- "Macaulay, James," in Dictionary of National Biography, 1912 supplement, London: Smith, Elder, & Co. (1912) in 3 vols.
Some or all works by this author were published before January 1, 1928, and are in the public domain worldwide because the author died at least 100 years ago. Translations or editions published later may be copyrighted. Posthumous works may be copyrighted based on how long they have been published in certain countries and areas.