Author:John Gray McKendrick
|←Author Index: Mc||John Gray McKendrick
|M.D., LL.D., F.R.S., F.R.S. (Edin.). Professor of Physiology in the University of Edinburgh, 1876-1906.|
This author wrote articles for the Encyclopædia Britannica, Ninth Edition.
Articles attributed to this author are designated in EB9 by the initials "J. G. M"
This author wrote articles for the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica.
Articles attributed to this author are designated in EB1911 by the initials "J. G. M"
- A case of meningo-cerebritis, caused probably by exposure to the sun (1868)
- The future of physiological research: address in the Department of Anatomy and Physiology, British Association, Glasgow, 1876) (1868)
- On the physiological action of light: abstract of three communications read before the Royal Society of Edinburgh (1873)
- Apparatus for maintaining artificial respiration in physiological experiments (1873)
- On the necessary conditions of sensations, as illustrated by the sense of hearing (1873)
- A review of recent researches on the physiology of the nervous system (1874)
- Note on the perception of musical sounds (1874)
- Introductory lecture ... at the opening of the session 1875-76 of the Edinburgh Royal Veterinary College, 27th October 1875 (1875)
- Note of a method of studying the binocular vision of colour (1877)
- On the chemical and microscopical analysis of an unsound wine (1878) (co-authored with James Robert Napier
- Observations on the influence of an electromagnet on some of the phenomena of a nerve (1878)
- On the earlier studies of the medical curriculum: address to the medical students at the opening of the Winter Session, University of Glasgow, Tuesday, October 29, 1878 (1878)
- General physiology of the nervous system: a lecture delivered in the City Hall, Glasgow, under the auspices of the Glasgow Science Lectures Association (1879)
- On the effects of chloroform, ethidene, and ether on blood-pressure: being the third provisional report of the Committee on Anaesthetics to the Scientific Grants Committee of the British Medical Association (1880) (co-authored with William Ramsay and Joseph Coats)
- Waste and repair: A lecture delivered in the City Hall, on 10th October, 1881 (1881)
- Report on the action of anaesthetics to the Scientific Grants Committee of the British Medical Association (1881) (co-authored with William Ramsay and Joseph Coats)
- Explanation of plate XXII, in illustration of the Report on anaesthetics, page 387 (1881)
- On the action of anaesthetics (1881)
- Note on a simple form of Lippmann's capillary electrometer useful to physiologists (1883)
- Syllabus of a course of ten lectures on physiological discovery : a retrospect, historical, biographical, and critical (1883)
- To illustrate Dr. McKendrick's lectures on physiological discovery (1883)
- Dr. Allen Thomson (1884)
- Some thoughts on molecular physiology: an introductory lecture, delivered Wednesday, 28th October, 1885 (1885)
- Chronological tables of scientific men, showing the names of the more distinguished anatomists and physiologists, and their contemporaries (1890)
- A retrospect: an address to the medical and surgical graduates of the University of Glasgow, on 27th July, 1893 (1893)
- On the Tone and Curves of the Phonograph, The Journal of Anatomy and Physiology 29: 583–592 (1896)
- Note on Mr. Alfred Graham’s Method of Producing Sound by an Electrical Arrangement, Proceedings of the Philosophical Society of Glasgow 28: 46–48 (1896)
- Sound and Speech Waves as Revealed by the Phonograph, Proceedings of the Philosophical Society of Glasgow 28: 201–235 (1897)
- Graduation address by John Gray M'Kendrick, Professor of Physiology in the University of Glasgow: 17th July, 1906 (1906)
- Animal physiology (1877)
- Outlines of physiology in its relations to man(1878)
- A text book of physiology: Volume 1 - General physiology (1888)
- A text book of physiology: Volume 2 - Special physiology (1888)
- Life in motion; or, Muscle and nerve; a course of six lectures delivered before a juvenile auditory at the Royal Institution of Great Britain during the Christmas holidays of 1891-93] (1892)
- The physiology of the senses (1893) Co-authored with William Snodgrass.
- Sound, Hearing and Speech, Royal Institution Christmas Lectures (1895)
- Elementary human physiology (1896)
- Hermann Ludwig Ferdinand von Helmholtz (1899)
- Intoduction to The household physician: a family guide to the preservation of health and to the domestic treatment of ailments and disease, with chapters on food and drugs, and first aid in accidents and injuries (1898) by Joseph M'Gregor-Robertson
- The principles of physiology (1912)
- “Taste” in Encyclopædia Britannica (9th ed., 1888).
- “Touch” in Encyclopædia Britannica (9th ed., 1888).
- "Equilibrium," in Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed., 1911)
- "Hearing," in Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed., 1911)
- "Helmholtz, Hermann Ludwig Ferdinand von," in Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed., 1911)
- "Sleep," in Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed., 1911)
- "Smell," in Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed., 1911)
- "Taste," in Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed., 1911)
- "Touch," in Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed., 1911)
- "Vascular System," in Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed., 1911) (History of Discovery
- "Vision," in Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed., 1911)
- "Voice," in Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed., 1911)
Works about McKendrickEdit
- The Story Of My Life John Gray McKendrick (1919)
- The Late Professor-Emeritus John Gray McKendrick. (1926). Edinburgh Medical Journal, 33(3), pp.176–177.