Baird's Manual of American College Fraternities (1879)/Alpha Phi
The first ladies’ society in Syracuse University, founded in 1872, mostly by members of the class of ’76. The charter members were Misses Mary F. Cary, J. Louise Gage, E. Grace Hubbell, Alice M. Lee, and Lizzie Peebles. The society soon took a prominent position in the university, and remained without a rival until 1874, when Gamma Phi Beta was founded. Both organizations are now in a flourishing condition. The chapter calls itself the “Alpha;” its badge is a monogram of the “Α” placed over the “Φ,” and is very pretty. The total number of members to date is 54, and its active membership is between 20 and 25.
The society's colors are silver gray and bordeaux.