Baird's Manual of American College Fraternities (1879)/Phi Delta Phi
The Phi Delta Phi is a fraternity of lawyers. Previous to its foundation but one fraternity, the Theta Xi, had attempted to confine its chapters to a special class of institutions. In 1869 several members of the class of 1870, at Michigan University,— W. S. Beebe, A. E. Hawes, J. E. Howell, J. M. Howard, A. M. Monteith, J. D. Ronan, and J. B. Cleland,—determined to found a society whose object should be “the promotion of a higher standard of professional ethics and culture in the law-schools of the country.”
The movement was encouraged by the professors, and several of them have since become members. Until 1875 no effort Was made to establish chapters elsewhere, but at that time a charter was granted to the Law-School of Philadelphia. Chapters have been established as follows:
- Kent, Michigan University, 1869.
- Sharswood, Pennsylvania University, 1875.
- Benjamin, Illinois Wesleyan University, 1878.
The chapters have each been named after some distinguished lawyer. In order to be eligible to membership a person must be in actual attendance at some law school, but membership in the other fraternities does not debar him from entering this.
The badge of the society is a shield-shaped piece, enclosing in a sharp point at the top. In the centre of the badge is a field, upon which are displayed five crosses; above this space are the letters “ΦΔΦ,” while a star is in each corner. A badge composed of the monogram is also in use. The fraternity colors are wine color and pearl blue. The total number of members to date is about 200.