Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Columbus (Georgia)
COLUMBUS, a city and county-seat of Muscogee co., Ga.; on the E. bank of the Chattahoochee river; on the boundary line between Georgia and Alabama; and on the Central of Georgia, the Southern, and the Seaboard Air Line; 100 miles S. W. of Macon. It is connected by steamship lines with Appalachicola, Fla. On account of its large and important manufacturing interests it is known as the “Lowell of the South.” The city is regularly laid out with an excellent street system.
Columbus is one of the leading cotton manufacturing cities in the South. It uses over 100,000 bales of cotton for manufactures annually. In addition there are manufactories of cotton-seed oil, barrels, agricultural machinery, fertilizers, etc. The city has several National banks, newspapers, public library, conservatory of music, and other public institutions.
The noteworthy buildings are the Court House, Georgia Home Insurance Co., Bank of Columbus, Garrard Building, and numerous churches. Four handsome bridges connect Columbus with its suburbs in Alabama.
History.—Columbus was laid out in 1828; incorporated as a city in 1829; and captured by the Federal forces, April 16, 1865. Pop. (1910) 20,554; (1920) 31,125.