Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Jackson (Mich.)
JACKSON, a city and county-seat of Jackson co., Mich.; on the Grand river, and several lines of railroads; 76 miles W. of Detroit. It is the trade center and distributing point for coal, oil, and farming implements for South Central Michigan; and has manufactories of machinery, corsets, chemicals, oil stoves, glass, paper and refrigerators. The city contains the State prison; derives large power for manufacturing from the river; has the Holly system of waterworks, electric light and street railway plants, a National and other banks, daily, weekly, and monthly periodicals. Pop. (1910) 31,433; (1920) 48,374.