Open main menu

Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)/Jackson (Mississippi)

JACKSON, a city, capital of the State of Mississippi, and county-seat of Hinds co.; on the Pearl river and several important railroads; 40 miles E. of Vicksburg. It contains the State Lunatic Asylum, State Institution for the Deaf and Dumb, State Law Library, State prison, Millsaps College for Men, a National bank. It is the farming and cotton raising trade center for four counties, and besides a variety of industries connected with cotton, it has iron foundries, brick and lumber yards, railroad repair shop, fertilizing factories, and agricultural implement factories. Jackson is lighted by electricity, and has an extensive trade, especially in cotton, through the port of New Orleans. Pop. (1910) 21,262; (1920) 22,817.

Source: “Jackson, a city, capital of the State of Mississippi” Collier's New Encyclopedia, V (New York: P.F. Collier & Son Company, 1921), p. 220.