Baird's Manual of American College Fraternities (1879)/Local fraternities, defunct
A society, founded at Colly University in 1874, whose chief purpose was to unite with some stronger fraternity and establish a chapter at Waterville. After applying in vain to several fraternities the organization disbanded in 1878.
A society established at the New York City College in 1877. At one time it had quite a large membership, but becoming disintegrated late in 1878, many of its members joined Delta Beta Phi.
A society established at the Stevens Institute of Technology in 1877. Fearing opposition, its members kept their organization secret. It died with the graduation of the class of ’78.
A fraternity founded at Cornell University in 1868. It existed for two years, and then seems to have quietly disbanded. The badge was a Maltese cross, displaying on its centre field the skull and crossbones; above was the letter “Α,” and below “Ω,” The chapter was termed the Alpha.
A fraternity founded in the New Jersey Agricultural College (Rutgers College Scientific Department) in 1866. It existed for about two years.
A fraternity founded at Rutgers College in 1876. It numbered about 15, and its standard of membership was low. Its badge was a cross, with four arms separated by segments of circle. In the centre were the letters “ΑΘ,” on either side of which was a star. Above was the letter "Α," mid below the emblem of two clasped hands. Its colors were light pink and blue. It became the Alpha Rho of Chi Psi in May, 1879.
A 1ocal society at Hobart about 1870.
This fraternity grew out of the opposition to Phi Sigma at Lombard University. It was founded Feb. 9, 1869, by E. K Walbridge, W. H. Woods, J. L. McCormick, and James O’Donnell. After having attained a total membership of 31, it became the Xi Chapter of Delta Tau Delta that same year.
A local society at Hamilton bore this name from 1857 to 1861. Nothing further is known of it.
Nu Phi MuEdit
A local society established at Lafayette College, in 1877, by W. L. Parsons. In November, 1878, it became a chapter of Delta Beta Phi.
This fraternity was founded at Trinity College, in 1835, by John H. Barnes, ’37; H. G. Brander, ’38; James E. Burhaus, ’38; H. H. Concklin, ’38; Pliny A. Jewett, ’37; and William W. Fownes, ’38. Among its prominent alumni have been Hon. David M. Armstrong, Rev. John F. Huntington, late Professor at Trinity; Rev. Thomas R. Pynchon, President of Trinity; Rev. George M. Hills, D.D., and others.
Its badge is a plain gold shield, bearing crossed swords in black enamel, the words "Di Chado" and the letters “ΦΚ.” The society color is black. The total membership to date is 190.
In December, 1877, the fraternity became the Phi Kappa Chapter of Alpha Delta Phi.
A local fraternity founded at Columbia College in 1865. It was called the Alpha Chapter, and lived until 1874, when it was merged into Beta of Delta Kappa Epsilon. The society made every effort to establish chapters elsewhere, but it was remarkably unsuccessful.
Sigma Theta Pi.Edit
A local society founded at the Stevens Institute of Technology in 1874. It was styled the “Alpha” Chapter, but never made any progress, and within two years after its foundation its members had joined the other fraternities.
A fraternity having but a brief existence, which lived and died within the year 1873, at Union College.
A fraternity founded at the New York City College in 1867. It was called the “Nu” Chapter, and claimed to have another chapter at Madison University, but nothing can be ascertained in regard to it at that college. It became extinct in 1871.
A prosperous local fraternity founded at Genesee College in 1863. It was transferred to Syracnse University on the opening of that institution, and became the Pi of Psi U. in 1875.