powers and his keen clinical observation, to which his very numerous publications from 1860 to 1898 attest. His text-book on diseases of the eye, published in 1890 (second edition in 1894), is one of the best. He died at Mount Washington, Novem- ber 12, 1900. H. F.
Trans. Am. Oph. Soc, vol. ix. Joum. Am. A., 1896, vol. xxvi. Rhode Island Med. Soc, 1896, vol. v. Knapp's Archives of Ophthalmology, vol.
Stone's " Biography of Eminent Physicians
Med. News, 1900, vol. Ixxvii.
Med. Record, 1900, vol. Iviii.
Noyes, James Fanning (1817-1896).
James F. Noyes was born August 2, 1817, on a farm near Kingston, Rhode Island, a direct descendant of the Rev. James Noyes, Puritan and Nonconform- ist who emigrated from England and settled in Newberryport, Massachusetts, in 1634. Dr. Noyes went as a lad to the private schools near his home, ill health preventing his taking a college course. In 1842 he began to study medicine with Dr. Joseph F. Potter, of Waterville, Maine, and in 1844 took a course of lectures at Harvard Medical School; and in 1845 one at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, graduating M. D. in 1846. After some post-graduate work in New York City, Dr. Noyes was appointed assistant physician in the United States Marine Hospital at Chelsea, Massachusetts. In 1849 Noyes began active work at Water- ville, Maine, where he soon secured a large practice. In 1851 he removed to Cincinnati, Ohio, to form a partnership with his former preceptor. Dr. Potter. 1855 was spent in Europe studying ophthalmology at Berlin, with A. von Graefe and Richard Liebreich. In 1859 he again returned to Europe and studied in Paris with Desmarres and Sichel. In 1863 he settled in Detroit where he re- mained till his retirement in 1886, being the second regular physician to practise ophthalmology and otology in Michigan. He was a founder of the Detroit Academy of Medicine, president in 1873; member
of the Michigan State Medical Society; of the American Ophthalmological Soci- ety and the American Otological Society. He was honorary member of the Texas State Medical Society; member of the Ohio State Medical Society; of the Rhode Island State Medical Society; and of the Maine State Medical Society. In 1869 he was elected professor of ophthalmol- ogy and otology in Detroit Medical Col- lege, a position held for ten years. In 1872 he was president of the Detroit Academy of Medicine. From 1866 to 1880 he was ophthalmic and aural sur- geon to St. Mary's Hospital, Detroit; and from 1863 to 1886, ophthalmic and aural surgeon to Harper Hospital, Detroit; from its foundation to 1886 he was ophthalmic and aural surgeon to the Detroit Woman's Hospital. He took great interest in the Oak Grove Insane Asylum at Flint, Michigan, and erected an amusement building known as " Noyes Hall." Under a gruff exterior, Dr. Noyes carried a warm and sympathetic heart. If a patient gave instant atten- tion and unquestioned obedience. Dr. Noyes was a most delightful doctor, would inculcate proper respect for the To others he gave such attention as profession in general. While in general practice Dr. Noyes had a reputation for daring and skillful surgery and till his death nothing held so much interest for him as a well performed surgical opera- tion. He was among the first to treat strabismus by the tucking method. His first operation was done March 3, 1874, and published in the "Transactions of the American Ophthalmic Society," p. 274. It differed from the modern tuck- ing in that the tendon was divided and the ends sufficiently overlapped to correct the deformity and then stitched together.
Dr. J. F. Noyes never married. He died in Providence, Rhode Island, Febru- ary 16, 1896, from heart failure.
"Extensive Ossific Deposits in Left Eye, with Sympathetic Affection of the Right Eye." (" Detroit Review of Medi- cine and Pharmacy," vol. i.)