vol. ii, No. 2, pages^l22-149, was entitled "The Comparative Structure of the Flowers of Polygala polygama and P. pauciflora with Observations on^Cleis- togamy." After graduation he was elected to the chair of biology in Ursi- nus College, Collegeville, Pennsylvania. Later he became professor of botany in the Medico-Chirurgical College where he continued to serve until June, 1910, when he resigned to become professor in the university. Shaw loved an outdoor life and open air pursuits, and a few of his summer vacations were spent in explor- ing the Catskills, the Adirondack Moun- tains and the Alps of Europe. Lured by the greater attractions of the mountains of British Columbia, he led organized camping parties to visit the wilds of a country unrivaled on this continent for scenic beauty and grandeur. On one of these trips (the summer of 1904) Dr. Shaw made a large collection of mountain and Alpine plants which were distributed to the herbaria of the world. He also contributed a niunber of papers to bo- tanic journals, among which should be mentioned "The Development of Vege- tation in the Morainal Depression of the Vicinity of Woods Hole " (1902) ; " Causes of Timber Line in High Mountains" (1909); "The Teaching of Respiration in Plants." One summer was spent by Dr. Shaw in study abroad with Prof. C. Flahault at the University of Montpellier, France. Shaw remarked to the writer in June of this year that he had planned to make this the biggest campaign yet. He left in high spirits to meet a party of ten persons, men and women, with Mrs. Shaw as one of the party. Their per- manent camp was located on the delta of one of the streams emptying into that part of the Columbia river known as Lake Timbasket, British Columbia, when his death by drowning occurred, the details of which will never be known, as he was alone in a canoe, returning to camp after seeing two of his university colleagues to the trail on August 8, 1910.
J. W. H.
Old Penn. Weekly Review, Pliila., 1910.
Shaw, Charles Stoner (1856-1899).
Charles Stoner Shaw was born in Pittsburg, September 13, 1856, the second son of Thomas Wilson and Catherine Stoner Shaw. His early education was obtained at the Ward and high schools of Pittsburg.
He graduated in medicine at the Uni- versity of Pennsylvania in 1879 and re- turning to Pittsburg was associated with liis father and devoted himself to general practice for several years, gradually, how- ever, restricting himself to the treatment of diseases of children. In 1894 he was elected to the chair of diseases of chil- dren in the medical department of the Western University of Pennsylvania, in Pittsburg, which position he held until his death. His wide knowledge coupled with his scholarly attainments, excep- tional for his age, at once attracted the students and made liis lectures a marked feature in the college course.
He was a member of the County, State and National Medical Societies. At the time of his death he was the unanimous choice for the presidency of the Allegheny County Medical Society.
Shaw was a man of high ideals, and stood for all that is best and highest in the medical profession. With a view to do battle in its cause and to stimulate the observance of the Code of Ethics, the more especially as to its bearings on nos- trums and nostrum advertising in the medical press, he, with some half dozen others of the younger physicians of Pittsburg, organized in December, 1885, "The Pittsburg Medical Review," a monthly periodical owned and controlled entirely by the editors. Dr. Shaw was recognized as editor-in-chief of this publication and under his vigorous efforts, directed especially at the "Jour- nal of the American Medical Association," the board of trustees of that journal gradually eliminated the more obnoxious advertisements, until its pages were prac- tically free from all advertisements which the code of ethics forbids.
Dr. Shaw was not married and died in