Jesus and Mary; the Sisters of the Holy Cross, also a teaching institute from France, arrived in 1847; in 1848 the institute of Soeurs de la Misericorde were founded for the care of Magdalenes and in 1850 the Sisters of St. Anne, for teaching. Colleges were founded at Joliette and Bourget, by the Clerics of Saint-Viateur, in 1846 and 1850; at Saint-Laurent, by the Fathers of the Holy Cross, in 1847. (For the Laval University, chartered in 1852, and its succursal at Montreal, see Laval University of Quebec.) In 1852 the Diocese of St. Hyacinthe was erected, and in 1874 that of Sherbrooke ; both of these became suffragan of Mont- real in 1886, when Montreal became a metropoli- tan see. The other two suffragans, Valleyfield and Joliette, were erected in 1892 and 1904 respectively. Other notable events were: in 1840, the missions of Mgr Forbin Janson, and the Act granting separate schools (denominational); in 1843, the preaching of temperance; in 1848, the estabhshment of coloniza- tion societies (celebrated later under the direction of Mgr Labelle, parish priest of St. Jerome) to coun- teract the emigration movement towards the United States; in 1866, division of the parish of Notre-Dame (since divided further into more than 50 parishes); in 1868, the condemnation by Bishop Bourget, con- firmed by the Holy See, of the "Institut Canadien", a club which by means of its books and its lectures had become a centre of Voltaireanism and irreligion; also "the Guibord affair", a famous lawsuit in refer- ence to the burial in consecrated ground of a member of the same club. About 1884, began at Montreal the Lenten lectures in Notre Dame, then those in the Gesfi, and lastly those in the cathedral (in 1898) under l\Igr Bruch<si. In 1896 Loyola College was founded by the Jesuits for English-speaking Catholics; in 1905, Mgr Racicot was appointed auxiliary bishop to the Archbishop of Montreal.
The Eucharistic Congress of 1910. — The Twenty- first International Eucharistic Congress was held at Montreal, 7-11 September, 1910. (For the origin and object of these congresses, see Congresses, Catholic: International Congresses.) At the Eucha- ristic Congress of London, in 1908, the Committee offered Mgr Bruchesi the opportunity to hold the Congress of 1910 in his archiepiscopal city. For a year the various committees at Montreal worked energetically in preparation for the event. Pius X sent as legate a latere His Eminence Vincenzo Vannutelli, Cardinal-Bishop of Palestrina. All the bishops of Canada and the United States and a large number from Europe were present in person or sent their representatives. Three cardinals, one hundred and twenty archbishops and bishops, between three and four thousaiid priests, and more than a half million lay visitors came to Montreal. The literary re- unions of the French-speaking section were held at the house of the Fathers of the Blessed Sacrament, Laval University, and the National Monument, while those of the Enghsh-speaking section took place at the Convent of the Sacred Heart, Windsor Hall, and Stanley Hall. More than a hundred studies on the Blessed Eucharist — in relation to dogma, moral, history, discipline, pious practices, devotions, and associations — were read and discussed. Each seance . was presided over by a bishop. Special reunions for priests, men and women, and for the young were held with great success.
A splendid gathering of twenty thousand young men received the p.'ipal legato with enthusiasm; thirty thousand school-i liildri'Ti pa^snl in review be- fore him. It is estimated that a liuiidrrd lliousand men marched in procession on the occasion of the solemn closing of the Congress, Sunday, 1 1 Septem- ber, in the presence of 700,000 spectators. The streets of the city were magnificently decorated for the occasion with triumphal arches, (lr:ipcrics, and flags, under the direction of the committee of archi'
tects. On the side of Mont Royal, in the Pare Mance, an immense park in the form of an amphitheatre, a monumental altar had been erected; there Mass was celebrated in the open air on 10 September, and there on the following day, the great procession terminated, when nearly 800,000 Christians assembled to welcome Jesus in the Eucharist held in the hands of the cardi- nal legate, blessing Montreal, Canada, America, and the whole world. Besides the literary reunions al- ready mentioned, two great meetings were held on Friday and Saturday evenings at Notre-Dame, where speeches in honour of the Christian Faith and the Blessed Sacrament were delivered by : Cardinal Vannu- telli, Cardinal Logue, Archbishops Bruchesi, Bourne, and Ireland, Bishops Touchet and Rumeau, Sir Wil-
BOURQET MONTTMENT, MoNTHEAL
frid Laurier, Sir Lomcr Gouin, Hon. Thomas Chapais, Judge Doherty, Deputy Tellier, Judge O'SuUivan, Deputy Henri Bourassa, M. Gerlier, and many other distinguished ecclesiastics and laymen of the Old and New World. These memorable displays of elo- quence made a deep impression in the souls of the twelve to fifteen thousand auditors. Also in the church of Notre-Dame, at the first hour of Thursday, 8 Sep- tember, as a religious prelude to the literary seances, an imposing midnight Mass was celebrated, at which thousands of men received Holy Communion, the Mass having been preceded by an hour's solemn adoration under the direction of members of the Association Adoration Nocturne of Montreal. The ceremony of the official reception of the papal legate, the special Mass on Thursday, 8 September, in favour of the numerous religious communities of Montreal, and also the high Mass on Sunday, 11 Sciiteinlier, sung by the cardinal legate, at which Cardinal Giblxins and Mgr Touchet preached, all took place in the cathedral of St. James. At the open-air Mass on Saturday, 10 Sep., sung by Mgr. Farley, the preachers were Mgr O'Con- nell and the Rev. Father Hage.
What specially dislinguishecl the Congn-ss of Montreal from any jirex'ious I'lueharistic Congress was the official parlici|iatiun of the ei\il, federal, pro- vincial, and numieipal aullmrities. The C.aiiadian Pacific Railway ('ompany had sent a re|)re.seiita- tive to meet the legate in Rome, and His Eminence