Open main menu

Page:Catholic Encyclopedia, volume 10.djvu/692

This page needs to be proofread.


MUNCH-BELLINGHAUSEN


G30


MUNGRET


a Franpisran and was oduoatpd at St. Bonavpnturo's College, Seville, and at St. Isidore's. Koine, wliere in l,>^;^0 he was ordained priest. After long service in Ireland, partipularly at ICnnis, he was apiiointed in 1S47 poa<ljiitor to Hishoji Fleming of St. John's, Ncw- fovni<lland, with the riRhl of succession, and was con- seeratcd by C^irdinal Fransoni on 27 Dpcember, 1847, at St. Isidore's, Home. In July, 1850, he supcppdcd Bishop Flpming. The church made great progress in Newfoundland during the episcop.ate of Dr. Mullock, a new diocese — Harbour Grace — being erected. The splendid cathedral of St. John's, begun in 1841, was consecrated on 9 September, 1855. Dr. Mullock al- ways took a keen interest in the commercial develop- ment of Newfoundland, and was most enthusiastic about its natural resources. He was frequently con- sulted by the governor on matters relating to the wel- fare of the colony, and many of his suggestions relat- ing to the fisheries and other matters were adopted. Before leaving Ireland he was a frequent contributor to the periodical literature of the day, and took an active part in the Irish literary movement of the forties. Long before the first attempts to lay a sub- marine cable across the Atlantic was made (1857), Dr. Mullock had on several occasions publicly pro- pounded the feasibility of connecting Europe with America by means of submarine telegraph. He was the first to bring before the English-speaking world the life and works of the great Saint Alphonsus Maria Liguori, publishing his "Life" at Dublin in 1846, and in the following year a translation of the saint's " History of Heresies and their Refutation ". In 1847 appeared at Dublin his "Short History of the Irish Franciscan Province", translated from the Latin work of Francis Ward; he also wrote "The Cathedral of St. John's, Newfoundland and its consecration" (Dub- lin, 1856).

Gams. Series episc. ecd. cath.; Howley, Eccl. Hist, of New- foundland (Boston, 18S8): contemporarv files of the Nation (Dublin), Tablet (London), and Cork Examiner; USS. in the Franciscan Convent, Dublin.

Gregory Cleary.

Munch-Bellinghausen, Baron Eligius Franz Joseph vo.\ (pseudonym: Friedrich Halm), an Aus- trian dramatist, b. at Cracow, 2 April, 1806; d. at Vienna, 22 May, 1.871. He was educated at the sem- inary of Melk and later at Vienna, where he studied philosophy and jurisprudence, and where he began his official career in 1826. Even as a boy he took a keen interest in the theatre and since 18.3.3 enjoyed the friendship of his former teacher, the Benedictine Michael Leopold Enk von der Burg, who himself had a strong bent for the drama and encouraged the poet to offer his drama "Griseldis" to the Hofburg thea- tre. Its successful production in 1835 established Halm's reputation as a playwright and henceforth he continued to write for the stage with varying success. In the meantime he advanced in his official career, be- coming Government councillor in 1840 and Kuslos (chief keeper) of the Court Library m 1844, a position that Grillparzer had sought in vain. He was elected member of the Academy of Sciences in 1852 and life member of the Upper House of Parliament in 1861. In 1867 he was appointed superintendent of the two court-theatres, but three years later resigned this po- sition which disputes had made distasteful to him. His health also had been failing.

Of his many dramatic works the best known are "Griseldis" (1837); "Der Sohn der Wildnis" (1842); and "Der Fcchter von Ravenna" (1857). "Gri- seldis" is based on the well-known story of the faith- ful wife whose loyalty and devotion are put to the severest tests but who triumphs in the end. "Der Sohn der Wildnis" (The Son of the Wilderness) is a romantic drama depicting the power of womanly love and virtue over rude barbarian .strength. It was pre- sented on the English stage under the title of " Ingo-


mar the Barbarian". "Der Fechter von Ravenna" (The Gladiator of Ravenna), regarded as Halm's best work, is a tragedy having for its hero Thumelicus the son of Arniiiiius, the liberator of Germany from Roman rule. Theatrically these plays are very effec- tive, but the characters are improbable and the situa- tions arc often strained. Their popularity, which they owe largely to their smooth, polished diction and skilfully interspersed lyrics, has not been lasting. Of Halm's numerous other dramas we may mention "Iphigeiiie in Delphi" (1856); "Begum Somru" (lst'>;i); "Wildfeuer' (1864); and a German version of Sliaki'speure's "Cymbeline" that appeared on the stage in 1842. Halm is also the author of lyrics, short stories, and of a narrative poem "Charfreitag" (Good Friday) (1864). A complete edition of his works, arranged in chronological order, appeared at Vienna (1856-64) in 8 vols.; four additional volumes were edited posthumously by Faust Pachler and Emil Kuh (Vienna, 1872) ; selections were edited by Anton Schlossar (Leipzig, — ).

See the introduction to Schloss.^r's edition: Seidl in Album osterreich. Dichter (Vienna, 1850), 139 sq.; Rudolf Gottschall, Portrats und Studien, V (Leipzig, 1876), 83-129; Hans Hopfen, Streitfragen und Erinnerungen (Stuttgart, 1876).

Arthur F. J. Remy.

Munden, John, Venerable. See Haydock, George, Venerable.

Mvmdwiler, Fintan, abbot of the Benedictine miiiiastcrv of St. Meinrad, Indiana, b. at Dietikon in Switz.Tlaiid, 12 ,Iuly, 1835; d. at St. Meinrad's Abbey, 14 February, 1898. He studied at the monastic school of Einsiedeln in Switzerland, where he took the Benedictine habit in 1854, made profession on 14 Oct., 1855, and was raised to the priesthood on 11 Sept., 1859. A year later he accompanied his confrere, Martin Marty, afterwards Bishop of St. Cloud, to the newly founded monastery of St. Meinrad in Indiana. Having arrived there in September, 1860, he taught in the seminary and attended a few neighbouring missions. W'hile stationed at Terre Haute, Indiana (1864), he organized the German Catholic Congrega^ tion of St. Benedict, for which he built a church in 1865. In 1869, when St. Meinrad was raised to an abbey and Father Marty became its first abbot, Father Fintan was appointed prior and master of novices. While Abbot Marty worked among the Indians in Dakota (1876-80), Prior Fintan was ad- ministrator of the abbey, and, upon the resignation of the former, who had meanwhile been appointed Vicar Apostolic of Dakota, Fintan was elected Abbot of St. Meinrad on 3 February, 1880, and received abbatial benediction from Bishop Chatard of Vincennes on 16 May, 1880. Though above all intent upon the ob- servance of monastic discipline, he in no way neg- lected the secular interests of his abbey. He enlarged the college, founded the Priory (now Abbey) of ,Sub- iaco in Arkansas and the Priory (now Abbey) of St. Joseph in Louisiana, and obtained from Rome the permission to erect the Helvetico-American Congre- gation of Benedictines, of which he became the first president. When St. Meinrad's Abbey was destroyed by fire on 2 Sept., 1887, the undaunted abbot rebuilt the monastery on even a greater scale, founded a com- mercial college at Jasper, Indiana, and assisted in the foundation of the Priory of St. Gall in North Dakota. But , in the midst of temporal cares, he remained a man of prayer. He laboured most zealously for the spread of the adoration of the Blessed Sacrament and was a fervent promoter of the Priest's Eucharistic League, In 1893 he took part in the Eucharistic Congress held at Jerusalem.

Necrologies in Paradiesesfrilchte, III (St. Meinrad, Indiana, 1898), 65-8; St. John's University Record, IX (Collegcvillc, Minne.sota, 1898), 31-2; Revue Binididine, XV (Mared.snus,

1898), 18.S-90. Michael Ott.

Mungret, School op. See Limerick, Diocese of.