Open main menu

Page:Catholic Encyclopedia, volume 17.djvu/644

This page needs to be proofread.


RAVENNA 628 BAVENNA

and Wettenburg: Carmelites, 5 houses; Franciscans 5; houses, 3 lunatic asylums, 1 house of correction at

Capuchins 2: Kedemptorists 3; Augustinians 4: Straubing, 2 institutions for prisoners, 50 nursing

Minorites 2 hospices; Brothers of Mercy 5; School stations. The following charitable or^^anisations have

Brothers 4; Premonstratensians 1; Salesians of Don been formed: Conference of St. Vmcent de Paul,

Bosco 1; Pallottini Fathers 1; Fathers of the Divine established 1848, 1 bureau of charities, 1 association

Word 1; Brotherhood of Hermits 1; The following for supplying poor churches with vestments. 1 Priests*

orders of women are represented: Poor Clares 3 Association, 1 branch of the St. Raphael Society for

houses (104 Sisters); Dominicans 3 houses (166); Catholic Emigrants.

Cistercians 2 houses (199); Ursulines 1 house (95); Since 1911 the diocese has lost the following dis-

Sisters of the Good Shepherd 1 house (64); Englieii tinguished priests and laymen: Rev. Dr. Haberl,

Ladies 3 houses (120); Carmelites 2 nouses (25); founder of the school of church music: Canon Miihl-

Elizabethines 1 house (28); Salesians 4 houses (314); bauer, builder of the Erhardihaus, a nospice for ap-

24 establishments of the Sisters of Mercv (127): prentices; Dr. Schreiner, who planned and promoted

82 of the Poor School Sisters (576); 115 of the Third the excavation of the Roman Castle Abusina Eining;

Order of St. Francis of Mallersdorf (939); 1 of the Canon Michael HaUer, composer of church music;

Daughters of the Divine Redeemer of Niederbronn; Dean SoUner. builder of the basilica at Weiden;

1 of the Sisters of the Holy Cross (3)| 12 of the Privy Councillor Carl Pustet, printer to the Holy Franciscans (49). In all there are 2662 Sisters in the See; Joseph Habbel, merchant, publisher and public diocese. The diocesan seminary is at Ratisbon with official; Coimt Dr. Hugo v. Walderdorfif, historian; 165 seminarians and there are 3 preparatory semin- Ougenia Nentwig, Abb<»s of the Poor Clares, apostle aries with 559 students. of the poor. Since 1911 the following important

The following educational institutions for men events have taken place in the diocese: A new diooe-

exist in the diocese: 1 £foc^cAi/Ze with a philosophical san register was published (1916), also a diocesan

and theological faculty at Ratisbon (13 professors, hymn-book. Manv churches were erected and new

220 students), 6 gymnasia, 1 OberreaUchtue (9 years parishes were founded, numerous missions were given,

scientific course), 1 International School of Church Eucharistic congresses. Catholic congresses, ana

Music (5 professors, 20 students), 5 R€al8chulei\ (6 sodality conferences were held, pilgrimages were made

years scientific course, 64 professors, 1607 scholars), to Amberg and Altdtting, and 15,000 persons partici- .

2 teachers' training schools (23 teachers, 351 students) , pated in tne Farmers' (Jongress.

4 preparatory training schools (13 teachers, 168 During the war the clergy most generously gave

students), 9 industriaf schools (25 teachers, 650 their services in caring for the spiritual and bodily

students), 12 agricultural schools, 1 central agricul- wants of the soldiers. Twenty of them acted as field

tural association with a continuation school for 100 chaplains, 20 nursed the wounded, 160 seminarians

young farmers and a house-keeping school for farm joined the army. At the three large prisoners' camp

maids. The following institutions exist for women: at Grafenwdhr, Amberg, and Ratistx)n, the clergy

11 Hdhere Schulen for young women conducted by the were actively engaged in ministering to the spiritual

Sisters, divided as follows: English Ladies (1 school, needs of the soldiers and prisoners. The Sisters of

15 teachers, 300 pupils), School Sisters (1 school, Mercy cared for the wounded in 30 hospitab: Count

16 teachers, 243 pupils), 3 training schools for Albert and Countess Margareta of Thum and Taxis teachers, 1 municipal school for young ladies (17 nursed the soldiers; the Catholic Press Association teachers, 457 pupils), 5 gymnasia, also 12 house- provided reading matter for them. At the principal keeping schools. There are 2547 State elementary railroad station at Ratisbon 325,000 prisoners, in-


teachers. 1 association for juvenile teachers, 1 asso- were seminarians. An association has been formed ciation tor women teachers, 11 societies for women which looks after the graves of the fallen soldiers both teachers. The following institutions have been at home and abroad, established for children: 18 homes, 45 orphan asy- lums, 4 institutions for imbeciles, 2 homes for the deaf Bayenna, Archdiocese of (Ravbnatensir; cf. and dumb, 5 shelters, 97 infant schools. The various C. E., XII— «62b), in the province of Romagna, religious and social societies are well organized. They Central Italy. A consistorial decree of 3 January, are: 1 Archconfratemity of the Associatiop of 1917, modified the confines of the archdiocese. Christian Mothers which mcludes 4000 associations, Ravenna^ which claims metropolitan rights over all 18 Women's Leagues. Association of the Holy Family, the provmce of Emelia, is govecned by Most Rev. 500 Associations o/ Parents for the Support of Pasquale Morganti, b. m the Diocese of Milan, 13 Christian schools, 7 childrens' associations, 3 Womens' January, 1853, appointed bishop of Bobbio, 9 June, Associations (13,000 members), 172 Young Womens' 1902, promoted to Ravenna 14 November, 1904, Associations (40,000 members), 12 Young Men and succeeding Mgr. Guido Maria Conforti, resigned for ' Men!s Associations (25,000 members), 1 anti-alcohol reasons of health, and appointed Bishop of Parma, league, 50 sodalities for young men under the guidance 12 October, 1904, later Bishop of Cervia, 7 January, of priests, 39 for women, 9 associations for merchants* 1909; died 8 December, 1921. It has (1922) a Catholic employees (600 members), 54 apprentice associations population of about 220,000 soub, 60 parishes, 200 witn 10 hospices, 116 boys' sodalities (3370 rural churches. 2 monasteries for women^ 2 convents for members), 150 rural associations for servants (7000 men, 4 tor women, 150 secular pnests, 125 nuns, members), 2 homes for servants, 3 associations for 1 seminary with 54 seminarians, 1 college for men servants, 133 associations for workmen and work- with 8 teachers and 70 students, 3 for women with women, established since 1848 (10,000 members). 15 teachers and 105 students. The institutions under 800 Farmers' Associations (25,000 members). Railroad the authority of the government are: 3 high schoob Men's Union of Bavaria, the two last named estab- with 40 teachers and 300 boys and 50 girls, 1 academy lished since 1897. The laity have formed Christian with 10 teachers and 40 boys and 10 girls, 1 normal trade unions, a League for Metal-Workers and the school with 80 students, 1 professional school with Merchants' Hanseatic Union. The following chari- 70 students. Charitable institutions include 14 table institutions exist in the diocese: 65 hospitals, asylimis and 3 hospitals. A Mutual Aid Society and 37 infirmaries for the aged, 3 homes for invafids, 4 a society for deceased clergy are oraanized among the homes for servants, 4 homes for the aged, 6 poor- clergy, and three Circles among the laity. During