Open main menu

Page:Dictionary of National Biography volume 47.djvu/383

This page has been proofread, but needs to be validated.


chiefly of a sacred character, and afterwards portrait statues. His larger works were principally designed for Gothic church decoration. Among them may be mentioned sixty statues on the west front of Salisbury Cathedral; statues of the Apostles at Ely; groups of figures on the reredos at Gloucester; Our Lord in majesty in the chapter-house, Westminster; an elaborate reredos, representing the crucifixion, with the martyrdoms of St. Peter and St. Andrew, in St. Andrew's, Wells Street; the entombment in the Digby mortuary chapel, Sherborne. He also carved the statue of Fortitude on the Albert Memorial, Hyde Park, and the statue of the Duke of Devonshire in front of the laboratory at Cambridge. He died at Hampstead on 13 June 1876, in the midst of a promising career.

[Redgrave's Dict. of Artists; Royal Academy Catalogues, 1859–76; Art Journal, 1876, p. 276.]

C. D.

REDFORD, GEORGE, D.D. (1785–1860), nonconformist divine, born in Oxford Street, London, on 27 Sept. 1785, was educated at Hoxton College and in the university of Glasgow, where he matriculated in 1808 and graduated M.A. in 1811. In 1809 he was ordained in the congregational ministry, and was admitted to the pastoral charge of the independents at Uxbridge in 1812. There he originated, and for some time conducted, the ‘Congregational Magazine.’ He also, in conjunction with Thomas Harry Riches, compiled ‘The History of the ancient Town of Uxbridge’ (Uxbridge, 1818, and again 1885, 8vo). In June 1826 he succeeded the Rev. Dr. Vaughan in the ministry at Angel Street chapel, Worcester. In 1834 he was chosen president of the Congregational Union of England and Wales, and in 1837 delivered the congregational lectures in connection with the ‘congregational library.’ These attracted much attention, and were published under the title of ‘Holy Scripture verified; or the Divine Authority of the Bible confirmed by an appeal to Facts of Science, History, and Human Consciousness,’ London, 1837, and 1853, 8vo. He had previously composed the celebrated ‘Declaration of the Faith, Church Order, and Discipline of the Congregational or Independent Dissenters,’ which was adopted by the congregational union in 1833. In 1834 he received from the university of Glasgow the honorary degree of LL.D., and the degree of D.D. was afterwards conferred upon him by the university of Amherst, Massachusetts. In 1856 he resigned his charge at Worcester, in consequence of failing health, and retired to Edgbaston, Birmingham, so as to be near his friend, the Rev. John Angell James [q. v.] He died at his residence in Monument Lane, Edgbaston, on 20 May 1860. He was married and left issue.

In addition to the works already mentioned he wrote: 1. ‘A Defence of Extempore Prayer, and of the Mode of Preaching generally adopted by the Calvinistic Dissenters, in reply to a Sermon preached by [R. Hodgson] the Dean of Chester,’ London [1816], 8vo. 2. ‘The true Age of Reason: a candid Examination of the Claims of Modern Deism, containing a Demonstration of the Insufficiency of unassisted Reason to lead Mankind to Happiness, to Virtue, and to God,’ London, 1821, 8vo. 3. ‘Memoirs and Select Remains of the late Rev. John Cooke,’ London, 1828, 8vo. 4. ‘The Pastor's Sketch-Book; or authentic Narratives of real Characters,’ 3rd edit., London, 1829, 8vo. 5. ‘The Church of England indefensible from the Holy Scriptures, in reply … especially to two Discourses by J. Garbett, entitled “The Church Defended,”’ London, 1833, 8vo. 6. ‘The Great Change: a Treatise on Conversion,’ London [1844?], 12mo, with an introduction by John Angell James. 7. ‘Body and Soul; or Life, Mind, and Matter, considered as to their peculiar nature and combined condition in living things,’ London, 1847, 8vo. 8. ‘True Greatness: a Brief Memoir of John Angell James of Birmingham,’ London, 1860, 16mo, reprinted from the ‘Evangelical Magazine,’ with additions.

He was a contributor to the ‘North British,’ the ‘British Quarterly,’ and the ‘Eclectic’ reviews, and he edited ‘The Family and Closet Expositor,’ 1830; the ‘Evangelist,’ 1837, &c., in conjunction with Dr. Leifchild; C. G. Finney's ‘Lectures on Systematic Theology,’ 1851; and ‘The Autobiography of the Rev. William Jay,’ 1854, in collaboration with John Angell James.

[Berrow's Worcester Journal, 25 May 1860; Congregational Year-book, 1861, p. 230; Nonconformist, 30 May 1860.]

T. C.

REDFORD, Sir HENRY (d. 1404?), speaker of the House of Commons, came of a family long settled in Lindsey, Lincolnshire. In 1386 he accompanied John of Gaunt on his expedition to Spain, and in 1392–3 served as sheriff of Lincolnshire. He represented that county in parliament in 1400–1, and in the latter year was summoned to the privy council. During 1402 Henry IV requested him to contribute to a benevolence, and he again represented Lincolnshire in the parliament that met on 1 Oct. Two days later he was elected speaker, but his