This page needs to be proofread.
9Concerning the prophets.
- My heart within me is broken,
- All my bones shake;
- I am like a drunken man,
- And like a man whom wine hath overcome;
- Because of the Lord,
- And because of His holy words.
- 10For the land is full of adulterers;
- For because of swearing the land mourneth,
- The pastures of the wilderness are dried up;
- And their course is evil,
- And their force is not right.
- 11For both prophet and priest are ungodly;
- Yea, in My house have I found their wickedness,
- Saith the Lord.
- 12Wherefore their way shall be unto them as slippery places in the darkness,
- They shall be thrust, and fall therein;
- For I will bring evil upon them,
- Even the year of their visitation,
- Saith the Lord.
- 13And I have seen unseemliness in the prophets of Samaria:
- They prophesied by Baal,
- And caused My people Israel to err.
- 14But in the prophets of Jerusalem I have seen a horrible thing:
- They commit adultery, and walk in lies,
- And they strengthen the hands of evil-doers,
- That none doth return from his wickedness;
- They are all of them become unto Me as Sodom,
- And the inhabitants thereof as Gomorrah.
15Therefore thus saith the Lord of hosts concerning the prophets:
- Behold, I will feed them with wormwood,
- And make them drink the water of gall;
- For from the prophets of Jerusalem
- Is ungodliness gone forth into all the land.
- 16Thus saith the Lord of hosts:
- Hearken not unto the words of the prophets that prophesy unto you,
- They lead you unto vanity;
- They speak a vision of their own heart,
- And not out of the mouth of the Lord.
- 17They say continually unto them that despise Me:
- 'The Lord hath said: Ye shall have peace';
- And unto every one that walketh in the stubbornness of his own heart they say:
- 'No evil shall come upon you';
- 18For who hath stood in the council of the Lord,
- That he should perceive and hear His word?
- Who hath attended to His word, and heard it?
- 19Behold, a storm of the Lord is gone forth in fury,
- Yea, a whirling storm;
- It shall whirl upon the head of the wicked.
- 20The anger of the Lord shall not return,
- Until He have executed, and till He have performed the purposes of His heart;
- In the end of days ye shall consider it perfectly.
- 21I have not sent these prophets, yet they ran;
- I have not spoken to them, yet they prophesied.