This page needs to be proofread.
- 5Their venom is like the venom of a serpent;
- They are like the deaf asp that stoppeth her ear;
- 6Which hearkeneth not to the voice of charmers,
- Or of the most cunning binder of spells.
- 7Break their teeth, O God, in their mouth;
- Break out the cheek-teeth of the young lions, O Lord.
- 8Let them melt away as water that runneth apace;
- When he aimeth his arrows, let them be as though they were cut off.
- 9Let them be as a snail which melteth and passeth away;
- Like the untimely births of a woman, that have not seen the sun.
- 10Before your pots can feel the thorns,
- He will sweep it away with a whirlwind, the raw and the burning alike.
- 11The righteous shall rejoice when he seeth the vengeance;
- He shall wash his feet in the blood of the wicked.
- 12And men shall say: 'Verily there is a reward for the righteous;
- Verily there is a God that judgeth in the earth.'
59 For the Leader; Al-tashheth. [A Psalm] of David; Michtam; when Saul sent, and they watched the house to kill him.
- 2Deliver me from mine enemies, O my God;
- Set me on high from them that rise up against me.
- 3Deliver me from the workers of iniquity,
- And save me from the men of blood.
- 4For, lo, they lie in wait for my soul;
- The impudent gather themselves together against me;
- Not for my transgression, nor for my sin, O Lord.
- 5Without my fault, they run and prepare themselves;
- Awake Thou to help me, and behold.
- 6Thou therefore, O Lord God of hosts, the God of Israel,
- Arouse Thyself to punish all the nations;
- Show no mercy to any iniquitous traitors. Selah
- 7They return at evening, they howl like a dog,
- And go round about the city.
- 8Behold, they belch out with their mouth;
- Swords are in their lips:
- 'For who doth hear?'
- 9But Thou, O Lord, shalt laugh at them;
- Thou shalt have all the nations in derision.
- 10Because of his strength, I will wait for Thee;
- For God is my high tower.
- 11The God of my mercy will come to meet me;
- God will let me gaze upon mine adversaries.
- 12Slay them not, lest my people forget,
- Make them wander to and fro by Thy power, and bring them down,
- O Lord our shield.
- 13For the sin of their mouth, and the words of their lips,
- Let them even be taken in their pride,
- And for cursing and lying which they speak.