Maintenance of Religious Harmony
- whose object is the promotion of any religion, religious worship or the practice, conduct, teaching or propagating of any religious belief.
Establishment of Presidential Council for Religious Harmony
Establishment of Presidential Council for Religious Harmony. 3.—(1) There shall be a Presidential Council for Religious Harmony comprising a chairman and not less than 6 and not more than 15 other members.
(2) Not less than two-thirds of the members of the Council shall be representatives of the major religions in Singapore and the other members shall be persons who, in the opinion of the Presidential Council for Minority Rights, have distinguished themselves in public service or community relations in Singapore.
(3) The chairman and every member of the Council shall be appointed by the President, on the advice of the Presidential Council for Minority Rights, for a period of 3 years all of whom shall be eligible for reappointment:
Provided that a member, other than the chairman, may be appointed for any shorter period of not less than one year.
(4) The President may, after consultation with the Presidential Council for Minority Rights, at any time revoke the appointment of the chairman or any member of the Council and may, on the advice of the Presidential Council for Minority Rights, appoint any person to fill any vacancy which may arise in the Council for any reason whatsoever.
(5) No person shall be qualified to be appointed as a member of the Council unless—
- (a) he is a citizen of Singapore;
- (b) he is not less than 35 years of age;
- (c) he is resident in Singapore; and
- (d) he is not liable to any of the disqualifications provided in subsection (6).