11 S. XI. JAN. 9, 1915.]
NOTES AND QUERIES.
In various positions at the base are the fol- lowing inscriptions :
" The noble army of martyrs praise Thee."
This Monument is erected to the memory
nine Ipswich martyrs
who, for their constancy to
the Protestant faith,
death by burning N. Peke, 1538 ; Kerby, 1546 ; Robert Samuel,
1555 ; Agnes Potten, 1556 ; Joan Trunchfield,
1556 ; John Tudson, 1556 ; William Pikes, 1558 ; Alexander Gouch, 1558 ; Alice Driver, 1558 ;
Oh may Thy soldiers, faithful, true, and bold, Fight as the Saints who nobly fought of old, And win with them the victor's crown of gold.
Unveiled by the Very Rev. the Dean of Canter- bury, December 16th, 1903.
Brentwood, Essex. On a patch of grass beside the road at the top of the High Street is an ancient oak tree. Its hollow trunk has been bricked up to preserve it, and it is protected by iron railings. Be- neath its branches William Hunter, the boy martyr, was burnt in 1555. Close by an obelisk was erected to his memory in 1861 : the shaft is of red granite, and the base of white granite. The four sides of the base are thus inscribed :
[West] To the pious memory of
a native of Brentwood,
who maintaining his right
to search the Scriptures,
and in all matters of faith and practice
to follow their sole guidance, was condemned at the early age of nineteen, by Bishop Bonner in the reign of Queen Mary, and burned at the stake
near this spot
March xxvi, MDLV.
He yielded up his life for the truth
sealing it with his blood
to the praise of God.
Erected by public subscription
1861. [East] William Hunter
Committed to the flames March xxvi, MDLV.
Christian reader, learn from his example
to value the privilege of
an open Bible
and be careful to maintain it. "He being dead yet speaketh."
[North] "Be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life."
[South] "He was tortured, not expecting de- liverance, that he might obtain a better resurrec- tion."
The monument was restored and the oak tree bricked up on 21 July, 1894.
LAURENCE SAUNDERS AND OTHERS.
Coventry. A Runic cross erected to the memory of the Coventry martyrs was erected in the Square, Quinton Road, in 1910, and unveiled by the Mayor (Alderman W. Lee) on 15 Sept. It stands 20 ft. high, and is executed in silver-grey Cornish granite. On the front of the base are inserted gun-metal representations of a laurel wreath and the Coventry arms. The back and sides contain the following inscriptions :
Near this spot eleven persons, whose names are subjoined, suffered death for conscience' sake, in the reigns of King Henry VIII. and Queen Mary, namely : In 1510, John Ward. On April 4th, 1519, Mistress Landsdail (or Smith); Thomas Landsdail, hosier ; Master Hawkins, skinner ; Master Wrigsham, glover ; Master Hochett, shoemaker ; Master Bond, shoemaker. In January, 1521, Robert Selkeb (orSkilsby). On February 8th, 1555, Laurence Saunders. On September 20th, 1555, Robert Glover and Cor- nelius Bongey.
It is recorded that the Martyrs were burned in the Little Park, the same place where the Lollards suffered. The Martyrs' Field (now built upon) was situated 200 yards from this spot in an easterly direction.
Welcome, the Cross of Christ ; welcome, Everlasting Life ! Laurence Saunders' last words.
This memorial was erected by public sub- scription in the year 1910 : William Lee, Mayor.
Ardrishaig, Argyllshire, N.B. A column erected near the beach of Loch Fyne to the memory of the Rev. James Chalmers, the martyred missionary, was unveiled by Sir Donald MacAlister, Principal of Glasgow University, on 14 May, 1912. Chalmers was the son of a stonemason, and born in the village of Ardrishaig. I shall be glad to obtain a copy of the inscription on the memorial.
Quetta, India. A font was presented to the Cathedral in memory of James Chalmers, by friends, in 1902. It bears the following inscription :
To the Glory of God
in memory of the Rev: James Chalmers (Tamate) of the London Missionary Society who together with the Rev: O. F. .,
Tomkins was killed by the natives of Goarabari, British New Guinea, on the 8 th April 1901, after a life
of devoted service.
Erected by his friends at Thursday
Island, October 1902.