NOTES AND QUERIES. [ii s. xi. JAN. 9, 1915.
Bury St. Edmunds. Dr. Wace, Dean of Canterbury, unveiled a martyrs' memorial in the churchyard on 23 Dec., 1903. It consists of a massive square base and pedestal supporting a slender shaft, sur- mounted by a capital and ball. The inscription is as follows :
In loving memory
Seventeen Protestant Martyrs who for their faithful testimony to their faith
during the reign of Queen Mary, suffered death in this Town, 1555-1558.
This Monument provided by public subscriptions
erected A.D. 1903,
was unveiled on December 23 rd by
the Very Rev: Henry Wace, D.D.
The noble army of martyrs
praise Thee, O God.
Lewes, Sussex. Through the exertions of Mr. Arthur Morris an obelisk was erected here in 1901 in memory of seventeen martyrs. The late Isaac Vinall was donor of the site. The memorial is thus inscribed :
In loving memory
of the undernamed seventeen Protestant Martyrs, who, for their faithful testimony to
God's Truth, were, during the reign of Queen Mary,
burned to death, in front of the Star Inn now the Town Hall
Lewes. This Obelisk provided by public subscriptions
was erected A.D. 1901. Dateg of
Dirick Carver of Brighton . . . . July 22, 1555 Thomas Harland and John Oswald,
both of Woodmancote Thomas Avington and Thomas
Heed, both of Ardingly Thomas Wood (a Minister of the "^
Gospel) of Lewes .. .. -
Thomas Myles of Hellingly .. J Richard Woodman and George ^
Stevens, both of Warble ton Alexander (Hosman, William Mai-
nard and Thomasina Wood, all
Margery Morris and James Morris
(her son), both of Heathfield . . Denis Burges, of Buxted Ann Ashdon, of Rotherfield Mary Groves, of Lewes
" And they overcame, because of the blood of the Lamb, and because of the word of their testi- mony ; and they loved not their life even unto death." Rev. xii. 11 (R.V.).
JOHN T. PAGE. Long Itchington, Warwickshire.
(To be continued.)
June 6, 1556
About "June 20, 1556
" GAZING-ROOM." In the survey of Win- chester House, the palace in Southwark of the Bishops of Winchester, made by direc- tion of the Parliamentary Commissioners in 1647, occurs this passage :
" On the North side of the said Inner Court is a Passage leading into the Celler with a paire of Stone Staires turning Eastward and leading up into the great Hall, the great Dyning room, and another room called the Gazinge-room reaching to the East end of the Pallace, all on a flower [floor], which Hall, Dyninge room and Gazing room are covered with Lead, and all vaulted underneath, and on the Southeast side of those rooms is another dining room, and divers other fine lodgings, all on a flower."
" Gazing-room " is not to be found in the ' Oxford ' or in the ' Century ' Dictionary. The term, therefore, must be unusual. It seems to suggest a room commanding a good view, and, from its situation as described in the survey, a window opening northward would have faced the Thames and London Bridge a little to the right. One looking east would have given a full view of St. Mary Overies, separated only from the Winchester manor by a wharf belonging to the Bishop ; and, supposing the gazing-room to have occupied the whole width of the east end of the palace, the window southward would have overlooked the garden, which was noted as one of the finest in London and its suburbs. This beautiful mansion, which had been embellished by Bishop Montague in 1616, was pulled down after its sale in 1649 ; and after the Restoration the Bishops of Winchester had their London house at Chelsea. C. DEEDES.
" TILL." The ' N.E.D.' defines this word as a small box or casket within a larger one, and says that the word is obsolete except in the special sense of a box or drawer for cash in a shop or bank. The earliest quotation is (1452) in 'Munimenta Academica : " positis in ' le tylle ' in studio meo." The origin is stated to be obscure. The fact that till is the name of the small locker or cupboard at the end of a punt is ignored. The late Royal Academician G. D. Leslie, in ' Our River ' (p. 44), after describing a punt in which there were no hinges, says : " The little door in the till merely takes out of its hole " ; and this word till is not obsolete, and is not confined to the upper reaches of the Thames, for I heard a Teddington man use it recently.
If till, the locker for cash, is the same word as till, a punt's locker and I assume it is the derivation from the French seems to be clear. Littre has the word title, formerly a little bridge or cover at the stern of an