Page:Notes and Queries - Series 11 - Volume 9.djvu/186

This page needs to be proofread.


180


NOTES AND QUERIES. [u s ix. FEB. 28, 191*.


on Camden and Camden Place. There is a paper by Mr. John Eyre on 'The Antiquities of the Parish Church of Battersea.' The east window of the church, the Bolingbroke, "is one of the iinest heraldic windows in any church in London. Among the monuments is one to Thomas Astle, Keeper of ths Records of the Tower. William Curtis, author of 'Flora Londinensia,' was buried in the island space facing the entrance. Over the grave is a flat stone, inscribed with the verse, now nearly obliterated,

While common herbs shall spring wild,

Or garden cherish all that 's blithe and gay, So long his works shall praise dear Nature's child,

So long his memory suffer no decay. Curtis gave us the vegetable seakale, and we owe to him the introduction of many of the field grasses now in common use.

The parish of Rotherhithe is the subject of a paper by Col. Pearson. Mr. Manchee discourses on Spital- fields, Sir George Wheler and his chapel, and St. Mary's, Spital Square, and Mr. Lempriere on Christ's Hospital. Early in 1552 Ridley preached before young Edward VI., and so impressed him by his appeal for the poor that the King sent for him at once, and gave him a letter to the Lord Mayor, which he delivered the same evening. The following day the Lord Mayor, Sir Richard Dobbs, invited Ridley, two Aldermen, and six Commoners to dine and confer with him ; a committee was formed, and plans made for dealing with the poverty of the whole of London. They decided to turn the house of the Grey Friars' Monastery, dissolved in 1538, into a hospital for children. Richard Grafton was appointed treasurer, and in November of the same year 200 children, of both sexes, were received into Christ's Hospital; 100 infants were sent "to nurse" in the country; 260 persons were admitted to St. Thomas's; and pensions were granted to 600 decayed householders. They seem to have known how to do things in the year 1552.

The growth of interest in Archaeology was the subject of Sir Edward Brabrook's Presidential Address.

The numerous illustrations include a plan of the Grey Friars' Monastery in the fifteenth century.

WE have received from the Wigan Free Library Part XL of the Catalogue of the Reference Depart- ment, compiled by Mr. H. T. Folkard. This, although it consists of the letter T only, contains over 300 pages. It is good to read the titles of the various books, and to see that the collection is such a thoroughly catholic one. We naturally turn to the name of pur founder, Thorns, and are glad to see nine of his works, besides a set of "* N. & Q.' The pages of the Catalogue up to the present amount to 4,560. The total number of books in the Reference Library is 78,077. This is exclusive of pamphlets. Well done, Wigan !


INDICATION OP HOUSES OF HISTORICAL INTEREST.

On the 16th inst. a bronze tablet was, by the direction of the L.O.C., affixed to 59-60, Lincoln's Inn Fields, to commemorate the residence there of Spencer Perceval.


BOOKSELLERS' CATALOGUES. FEBRUARY.

MR. FRANCIS EDWARDS'S Catalogue 335 is devoted to Bibliography. It includes the library of William Younger Fletcher, late Assistant Keeper of Printed Books, British Museum. Among works on bookbinding are his ' English and Foreign Bookbindings,' illustrated by 126 coloured plates, 2 vols., 51. ; the ' Catalogue of the Bookbindings at the Exhibition of the Burlington Fine Arts Club,' illustrated edition, 121. ; and Hoe's ' One Hundred and Seventy-Six Historic and Artistic Bookbindings,' 2 vols., imperial 4to, 10Z. Under Walpole is a fine copy of ' Royal and Noble Authors,' 5 vols., 4to, 1808, maroon morocco by Lewis, 121. Williams's 'Art of Writing,' 4 vols., folio, unbound as issued, is 51. ; and Wood's ' Athenae Oxonienses,' 5 vols., royal 4to, levant extra, 1813-20, 81. 10s. Under Cruik- shank is Reid's ' Descriptive Catalogue,' 3 vols., 4to, Bell & Daldy, 1871, 121. 10s. The presenta- tion copy to Henry Huth of Lord Crawford and Balcarres's ' Bibliotheca Lindesiana,' 4 vols., small folio, is priced 10Z. 10s. The entire Catalogue is full of interest.

MESSRS. HENRY SOTIIERAN'S Catalogue 743 de- scribes an interesting collection of works oh English Topography, together with a number of engravings of views in Great Britain and Ireland. They have Westalland Owen's ' Picturesque Tour of the River Thames,' originally a single quarto volume, but extended in this copy to five volumes by the addi- tion of 557 extra illustrations, many of them fine sets of important works, bound by Riviere, 1828, 125?. For 115?. is offered another extra-illustrated work, Timbs's ' Romance of London : Strange Stories, Scenes, and Remarkable Persons ofi the Great Town,' extended by 829 additions from 3 vols. 8vo to 11 vols. inlaid to quarto size, 1865.

A good example of Ackermann's production is Papworth's 'Select Views of London' 76 aqua- tints with descriptive text 1816, 25?. Nichols's ' History and Antiquities of Leicestershire ' is, as the bibliophile knows, one of those works whose value has been enhanced by misfortune. Produced during the years 1795-1815, a fire in 1808 destroyed the printing office of the author, and with it the whole impression of the work as far as it had gone, with the exception of the copies originally subscribed for. Complete sets are therefore rare. The copy at Messrs. Sotheran's, which is offered for 140?., is be- lieved to be complete. We noticed also two sets of the Harleian Society's publications : a complete one to 1911 of the 'Visitations' and the 'Registers,' 102 vols, 45?., and one of the 'Visitations' only, 42 vols., including the privately printed 'Visitation of Herefordshire in 1569,' edited by F. W. Weaver, 42?.

[Notices of other Catalogues held over.]


t0

EDITORIAL communications should be addressed to " The Editor of ' Notes and Queries ' " Adver- tisements and Business Letters to "The Pub- lishers "at the Office, Bream's Buildings, Chancery Lane. B.C.

MR. JOHN Ross DELAFIELP. Forwarded to L. L. K.