rowing little or nothing from the people whose land they occupied. The recent exhibition is of the utmost interest to scientists, as it throws light upon the darkest age of Egyptian history, bringing us into contact with the neolithic culture of Europe, which we find transplanted at that remote period upon the banks of the Nile, and it gives us the means of tracing connections with the products of the Mediterranean peoples back to at least 3000 b. c.
The work of the museum has grown so rapidly that, in spite of the liberal accommodations allowed the department in the new Library building, only a portion of the material can be exhibited, and even the facilities for storage are becoming wholly inadequate. As early as 1893 the project of erecting a museum building for the suitable display of the collections was taken up by Mrs. Stevenson. Through the influence of Dr. Pepper, the city authorities conveyed to the university a tract of land for the purpose of establishing thereon a free museum of art and science. In 1895 the trustees of the university applied to the Legislature for an appropriation, one hundred and fifty thousand dollars of which is to be devoted to the erection of this building. Plans have been adopted, and ground will be broken soon. The entire scheme as proposed represents an outlay of about two million dollars. Here will arise one of the most important adjuncts to general culture, not only for the students enrolled upon the college register, but for people of intelligence throughout the city, the State, and the entire country. This department receives no return from students in fees or emoluments. It is a gift to them and to the public, supported entirely by private benevolence.
Literature and philosophy form subjects of investigation just as interesting as any other evidences of civilization. The important place of modern languages in the college curriculum has attracted a great measure of attention in recent years. Although at first introduced from the standpoint of utility, they have come to be treated as languages to be investigated philologically, and as possessing literatures to be studied historically and critically. The University of Pennsylvania has been foremost in taking this view of the modern languages. By the Professor of German and the recently added Professor of Romance Languages both French and German philology are taught, courses in Gothic and old French being offered to such as desire them; and in both languages, as well as in Italian, the literature receives full attention. English, by the addition of courses in Anglo-Saxon and English philology, has followed in the same direction. Students may now not only obtain large practical drill in the use of their mother tongue, but may also learn something of its origin, its history, its growth, and of the linguistic laws that govern it. Sanskrit sup-