Open main menu

Page:Provincial geographies of India (Volume 1).djvu/368

This page needs to be proofread.
348
[ch.
OTHER PLACES OF NOTE

Karnal, 29-4 N.-76-6 E. Headquarters of district. Population 21,961. On Delhi — Kalka Railway. Till the Western Jamna Canal was realigned it was most unhealthy, and the Cantonment was given up in 1841 on this account. The health of the town is still unsatisfactory. Trade unimportant.

Kasauli (Ambala), 30-5 N.-76-6 E. Small hill station overlooking Kalka. Height 6000 feet. The Pasteur Institute for the treatment of rabies is at Kasauli, and the Lawrence Military School at Sanawar, three miles off.

Panipat (Karnal), 29-2 N.-76-6 E. Headquarters of tahsil. Population 26,342. On Delhi — Kalka Railway. An important place in Hindu and Muhammadan times (pages 172 and 179). Local manufactures, brass vessels, cutlery, and glass.

Pihowa (Karnal), 296 N.~76'3 E. A very sacred place on the holy stream Sarusti.

Rewari (Gurgaon), 28-1 N.-76-4 E. Headquarters of tahsil. Population 24,780. Junction of main line and Rewari — Bhatinda branch of Rajputana — Malwa Railway. Trade in grain and sugar with Rajputana.

Rupar (Ambala), 30-6 N.-76-3 E. Headquarters of subdivision and tahsil. Population 6935. Exchange market for products of Hills and Plains. Headworks of Sirhind Canal are at Rupar.

Sirsa (Hissar), 29-3 N.-75-2 E. Headquarters of subdivision and tahsil. Population 14,629. Sirsa or Sarsuti was an important place in Muhammadan times. Deserted in the great famine of 1783 it was refounded in 1838. On the Rewari — Bhatinda Branch of the Rajputana — Malwa Railway. Has a brisk trade with Rajputana.

Thanesar (Karnal), 29-6 N.-76-5 E. See pages 165 and 168. Noted place of pilgrimage. Headquarters of a tahsil. Population 4719. The old Hindu temples were utterly destroyed apparently when Thanesar was sacked by Mahmud in 1014. There is a fine tomb of a Muhammadan Saint, Shekh Chilli.

(b) Jalandhar Division.

Aliwal, 306 N.-75 - 4 E. Scene of Sir Harry Smith's victory over the Sikhs on 28th January, 1846.

Dharmsala (Kangra), 32-1 N.-76-i E. Headquarters of district. On a spur of the Dhauladhar Range. A Gurkha regiment