is stationed here. The highest part of Dharmsala is over 7000 feet, and the scenery is very fine, but the place is spoiled as a hill station by the excessive rainfall, which averages over 120 inches. In the earthquake of 1905, 1625 persons, including 25 Europeans, perished.
Fazilka (Ferozepore), 30-3 N.-743 E. Headquarters of subdivision and tahsil. Population 10,985. Terminus of Fazilka extension of Rajputana — Malwa Railway, and connected with Ludhiana by a line which joins the Southern Panjab Railway at Macleodganj. A grain mart.
Ferozepore, 30-6 N.-74«4 E. Headquarters of district. Population 50,836 including 26,158 in Cantonment. (See page 245.)
Ferozeshah (Ferozepore), 30-5 N.-74-5 E. The real name is Pherushahr. Sir Hugh Gough defeated the Sikhs here after two days' hard fighting on Dec 21-22, 1845.
Jalandhar, 31-2 N.-75-3 E. Headquarters of district. Population 69,318, including 13,964 in Cantonment. The Cantonment lies four miles to the S.E. of the native town and three miles from the Civil Lines. (See page 241.)
Jawala Mukhi (Kangra), 31-5 N.-76-2 E. Celebrated place of Hindu pilgrimage with a famous temple of the goddess Jawalamukhi, built over some jets of combustible gas.
Kangra, 30-5 N. -76-2 E. Headquarters of tahsil. Ancient name Nagarkot. The celebrated temple and the fort of the Katoch kings of Kangra were destroyed in the earthquake of 1905. (See pages 168, 171, 183.)
Ludhiana, 30.6 N.-75-5 E. Headquarters of district. Population 44,170. The manufacture of pashmina shawls was introduced in 1833 by Kashmiris. Ludhiana is well known for its cotton fabrics and turbans (p. 152).
Mudki (Ferozepore), 30-5 N.-74-5 E. The opening battle of the 1st Sikh War was fought here on 18th December, 1845.
(c) Lahore Division.
Batala (Gurdaspur), 30-5 N. -75-1 E. Headquarters of tahsil. Population 26,430. Chief town in Gurdaspur district on the Amritsar — Pathankot Railway. Cotton, silk, leathern goods, and soap are manufactured, and there is a large trade in grain and sugar. The Baring Anglo-Vernacular High School for Christian boys is a well-known institution.