Kamalia (Lyallpur), 30-4 N.-72-4 E. Population 8237. An old town. Cotton printing with hand blocks is a local industry. The town should now prosper as it is a station on the Chichoki — Shorkot Road Railway and irrigation from the Lower Chenab Canal has reached its neighbourhood.
Lyallpur, 3 I- 3 N -~73 - 9 E. Fine new Colony town. Headquarters of district. Population 19,578. Large wheat trade with Karachi, and has a number of cotton ginning and pressing factories.
Montgomery, 30-4 N.-73-8 E. Headquarters of district. Population 8129. May become a place of some importance with the opening of the Lower Barf Doab Canal. Hitherto one of the hottest and dreariest stations in the Panjab, but healthy.
Pakpattan, 30-2 N.-73-2 E. Headquarters of tahsil. Population 7912. On Sutlej Valley Railway. Anciently known as Ajodhan and was a place of importance. Contains shrine of the great Saint Farid ul Hakk wa ud Din Shakarganj (1173-1265). Visited by Timur in 1398. There is a great annual festival attracting crowds of pilgrims, who come even from Afghanistan. There is great competition to win eternal bliss by getting first through the gate at the entrance to the shrine.
II. PAJNÁB NATIVE STATES.
Bahawalpur, 29-2 N.-7T-5 E. Capital of State on N.W. Railway 65 miles south of Multan. Population 18,414. There is a large palace built by Nawab Muhammad Sadi'k Muhammad Khan IV in 1882.
Barnala (Patiala), 32-2 ^-75-4 E. Headquarters of Anahadgarh Nizamat on Rajpura — Bhatinda branch of N.W. Railway. Population 5341. For the famous battle see page 179.
Bhatinda (Patiala), 30-1 N.-75-o E. Also called Govindgarh. Old names are Vikramagarh and Bhatrinda. Historically a place of great interest (page 167). Fell into decay in later Muham- madan times. Is now a great railway junction and a flourishing grain mart. The large fort is a conspicuous object for many miles round. Population 15,037.
Brahmaur, 32-3 ^-76-4 E. The old capital of Chamba, now a small village. Has three old temples. One of Lakshana Devi has an inscription of Meru Varma, who ruled Chamba in the seventh century.