From the Times-Dispatch, November 12, 1908.
MANY PROMINENT PERSONS PRESENT.
Unveiling of Monument at Fredericksburg to Humphreys'
Division Largely Attended.
Fredericksburg, Va., November 11.—The unveiling of the monument in the National Cemetery here today to General Andrew Atkinson Humphreys, Third Division, Fifth Army Corps, and Pennsylvania Troops, attracted a large number of people to this city, including about 1,500 Pennsylvanians, many of them being Federal veterans who took part in the battles of the Civil War here in 1862, and members of General Humphrey's division, which made its heroic charge against Marye's Heights, but was repulsed by the Confederates with a heavy loss of men.
Prominent among the visitors were Captain George F. Baer. president of the Fredericksburg Battlefield Memorial Commission, of Pennsylvania; Governor Edwin S. Stuart, of Pennsylvania and staff, and Admiral Winfield Scott Schley. The parade formed at the courthouse, under command of Major Clay W. Evans, of Pennsylvania, chief marshal, and Captain M. B. Rowe, of this city, assistant marshal, headed by Tansil's band of sixteen pieces, followed by Washington Guards, Captain T. M. Larkin; Maury Camp of Confederate Veterans, Major A. B. Bowering; R. S. Chew Camp, Sons of Confederate Veterans, W. H. Hurkamp; members of the Battlefield Memorial Commission of Pennsylvania, in carriages; Governor Edwin S. Stuart, of Pennsylvania, and staff, in carriages: invited guests, veterans in regimental formation.
The line of march was through the principal streets to the National Boulevard, up the boulevard to the National Cemetery. The Parade was over one mile long and over 1.500 men were in line. At the monument. President George F. Baer presided over the exercises. The invocation was pronounced by Rev.