Open main menu

Page:The Lucknow album 1874 by Darogha Ubbas Alli.djvu/24

This page has been validated.

( 15 )

The most imposing structure in Huzrutgunge is—

THE OFFICES OF THE OUDH AND ROHILKUND RAILWAY COMPANY.

View No. 9.

A short time after the recapture of Lucknow, a detachment of Royal Horse Artillery, located in this building, discovered treasure, to the amount of some three or four lacs of rupees, while driving pegs in the ground to picket their horses but what became of the treasure, is still a mystery. The agent of the Railway Company now holds office here.

The next building, or range, is occupied by Messrs. Murray and Company, merchants, and Madame Lines' millinery establishment.

 

 

On the opposite side of the street is the Roman Catholic Chapel, or—

ST. JOSEPH'S CHURCH.

View No. 10.

This beautiful chapel was brought into existence by subscription from the Roman Catholic community of the Civil Lines; its neat appearance and cleanliness speak well for the energy of the Chaplain, Father Lewis. Further on towards Huzrutgunge, are the coach manufactory of Messrs. Hormusjee and Company, Messrs. Conway and Company, and Messrs. Sinclair and Company; going on to the eastward, past the well-stocked bazar of Huzrutgunge, through the handsome shady trees will be seen the graceful spire of—

CHRIST'S CHURCH.

View No. 11.

Built by the Protestant cammunity under the superintendence of Lieutenant Swetenham, R. E. The church is