Open main menu

Page:The Lucknow album 1874 by Darogha Ubbas Alli.djvu/25

This page has been validated.

( 16 )

built in the modern style of architecture. The Reverend Mr. Moore is the present popular and much respected incumbent.

 

 

Further on, a little to the eastward, is the—

WINGFIELD PARK.

View No. 12.

This Park, originally called Banarsee Bagh, was in a very dilapidated state, when it came into possession of the British. It is now named after the late popular Chief Commissioner of Oudh, who took advantage of the natural picturesqueness of the spot, to have it carefully beautified with beds of flowers, umbrageous trees, parterres, gravelled walks and drives, &c, &c. This park, though not very extensive, is equal in beauty to any in this part of India. It affords shade and accommodation for fancy fairs, flower and vegetable shows, and archery meetings.

The marble baradurree was once the pride of Huzrut Bagh. It was removed and rebuilt where it now stands, a graceful and elegant work of art, in the centre of the flower garden. This magnificent building is said, like the Taj at Agra, to have been inlaid with precious stones; it appears they have all been removed, for nothing but counterfeit imitations now supply their place.

Returning through Huzrutgunge and turning to the right, the building vulgarly known as the "Chowper Stables," is seen at a short distance. In this building, the choicest of the King's horses and equipages used to be kept; it was considered decidedly stylish for such a purpose. After the annexation it became the barracks of H. M.'s 32nd Light Infantry. During the mutiny, the rebels converted the range into an arsenal, where they attempted to make percussion caps and other kind of ammunition; it is believed they were not very successful.