Open main menu

Page:The Lucknow album 1874 by Darogha Ubbas Alli.djvu/26

This page has been validated.

( 17 )

It was a work of great difficulty to capture these buildings after the reoccupation; the enemy fought desperately, and Sir Colin Campbell's force suffered severely in the engagement.

After the mutiny, the buildings were partitioned off into quarters for uncovenanted clerks and others; the grounds have been turned into gardens, and the building is now ostentatiously termed "Lawrence Terrace;" a more appropriate name would be the "Writers' Buildings" of Lucknow.

 

 

The straight road leads to the —

SEKUNDER BAGH.

View No. 13.

This garden may be very well described as the "Shalimar" of Lucknow. It was built by Wajid Ali Shah, especially in honor of one of his favourite mehals, Sekunder Begum; hence its name. It is encircled by a high wall, and has earned an imperishable page in history as the death-place of more than two thousand mutineers who were bayonetted without mercy, by the exasperated British troops under command of Sir Colin Campbell, on the 16th of November, 1857. The rebels, within the high loop-holed wall, had every advantage in repulsing our troops; the assault of the British was gallant in the extreme, and many a brave British soldier fell, before the stronghold was captured.

Wheeling to the left along the road, the Company Bagh is seen on the right; this is a nursery for a great variety of fruit trees and vegetables.