History and descriptionEdit
- "Game of Chess by the Electric Telegraph" in Littell's Living Age, 5 (57) (June 14, 1845); originally published in the Polytechnic Review.
- Morphy's Games (1860)
- A Literary Steinitz Gambit (1888), by Wilhelm Steinitz
- Chess History and Reminiscences (1893), by Henry Bird
- Chess Sparks (1895), by Author:John Henry Ellis (external scan)
Instructions and tacticsEdit
- The Chess-Player's Text Book (1849), by Howard Staunton (external scan)
- The Book of Chess (1857), by Hyacinth R. Agnel and Howard Staunton (external scan)
- The Chess Openings (1880), by Henry Edward Bird (external scan)
- The Principles of Chess in Theory & Practice (1894), by James Mason (external scan)
- The Major Tactics of Chess (1898), by Franklin Knowles Young (external scan)
- The Minor Tactics of Chess (1901), by Franklin Knowles Young and Edwin C. Howell (external scan)
- How to Play Chess (1907), by Charlotte Boardman Rogers
A list of periodicals appeared in a journal article: Contribution to a Bibliography of Chess Periodicals.