The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Burlington (N.J.)
BURLINGTON, a city and port of entry of Burlington co., N. J., on the Delaware river, at the mouth of Assiscunk creek, 18 m. N. E. of Philadelphia; pop. in 1870, 5,817. It was founded in 1677, principally by members of the society of Friends. It is situated on the Camden and Amboy railroad, and is connected with Philadelphia by lines of steamers, and by a branch railroad with Mount Holly. The city contains two hotels, two boarding schools, several churches and banks, an ancient library, which contains a large collection of rare and valuable works, and public schools which are richly endowed by a legacy of land from one of the early settlers, now become exceedingly productive. Three weekly newspapers are published. Burlington college, an Episcopal institution, educates a large number of students; and St. Mary's hall, also under the supervision of the Episcopalians, in 1871 had 28 instructors, of whom 20 were females, 209 pupils, and a library of 2,400 volumes. For the year ending June 30, 1871, there were registered, enrolled, and licensed at the port 131 vessels, with an aggregate tonnage of 12,525.—Burlington was long the seat of government for West Jersey, and was the official residence of the last colonial governor, William Franklin. It carried on a lucrative commerce with the West Indies both before and after the laying out of Philadelphia, built vessels, and subsequently built and fitted out a large privateer, which cruised successfully against the French. It was made the see of a bishop, and St. Mary's Episcopal church was liberally endowed by Queen Anne with land in and near the city, much of which is held to the present day, together with a massive communion service, presented by the same princess. A printing office and newspaper were established in 1777. As Philadelphia increased, Burlington declined.