The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Lewiston (New York)
LEWISTON, a town and village of Niagara co., New York, on the Niagara river, 7 m. from its entrance into Lake Ontario, and the same distance below the falls, and on a branch of the New York Central railroad; pop. of the town in 1870, 2,959; of the village, 770. A suspension bridge, with a span of 600 ft., built across the river at this point in 1850, was partially destroyed by an ice jam in 1864. It is to be repaired and used as a railroad bridge, to connect the Lake Ontario Shore railroad with the Great Western railway of Canada. Lewiston is the seat of the Roman Catholic theological seminary of Our Lady of Angels, organized in 1856 and chartered in 1863. In 1814 the town was burned by the British.