The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Newport (Kentucky)
NEWPORT, a city of Campbell co., Kentucky, on the Ohio river, immediately above the mouth of the Licking, and opposite Cincinnati, 63 m. N. N. E. of Frankfort; pop. in 1850, 5,895; in 1860, 10,046; in 1870, 15,087. It is handsomely built on an elevated plain commanding a fine view, and is ornamented and made attractive by numerous shade trees. In the city and its suburbs are a large number of elegant residences. Communication with Cincinnati is maintained by a steam ferry and a splendid new iron bridge for ordinary travel and railroad trains. There is a suspension bridge over Licking river between Newport and Covington, and a street railroad running over this bridge and the Covington and Cincinnati bridge connects the three cities. A street railroad also connects Newport with the two villages of Dayton and Bellview, situated on the Ohio river above the town. The Louisville, Cincinnati, and Lexington railroad passes through the city. It is noted for its excellent schools. There are several large rolling mills, iron founderies, saw mills, and various manufactories. The city contains a bank, a United States arsenal and military post, a daily and weekly newspaper, and ten churches. The principal courts of the county are held here.