The American Cyclopædia (1879)/San Augustine
SAN AUGUSTINE, an E. county of Texas, bordered W. by Angelina river and Attoyac bayou, and drained by their branches; area, 680 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,196, of whom 1,964 were colored. The soil is very rich and produces excellent cotton. The chief productions in 1870 were 110,007 bushels of Indian corn, 10,082 of sweet potatoes, 2,598 bales of cotton, and 1,135 lbs. of wool. There were 913 horses, 2,576 milch cows, 791 working oxen, 5,368 other cattle, 1,221 sheep, and 8,713 swine. Capital, San Augustine.