Open main menu

TALLADEGA, a city and the capital of Talladega co., Alabama, on the Selma, Rome, and Dalton railroad, 78 m. N. by E. of Montgomery; pop. in 1870, 1,933, of whom 1,013 were colored; in 1875, about 3,000. It is the seat of the state institution for the deaf and dumb and the blind, of a Presbyterian female seminary, and of Talladega college. The college was incorporated in 1869, and is sustained by the American missionary society. It admits both sexes and colors, and has in operation preparatory, theological, and normal courses, and grammar, intermediate, and primary departments. In 1874-'5 it had 13 instructors and 247 students. Talladega has two weekly newspapers and six churches, and trade in cotton, wheat, &c. On its site, Nov. 9, 1813, Gen. Jackson gained a victory over the Creeks.