The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Talladega (county)
TALLADEGA, a N. E. county of Alabama, bounded W. by the Coosa river and drained by Chockolocko creek and other streams; area, about 700 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 18,064, of whom 9,595 were colored. The surface is moderately hilly and the soil fertile. The Selma, Rome, and Dalton railroad traverses it. The chief productions in 1870 were 69,321 bushels of wheat, 284,783 of Indian corn, 42,821 of oats, 14,469 of sweet potatoes, 5,697 bales of cotton, 5,784 lbs. of wool, and 53,167 of butter. There were 922 horses, 1,786 mules and asses, 5,333 cattle, 2,355 sheep, and 6,947 swine; 4 tanneries, 3 currying establishments, and 2 saw mills. Capital, Talladega.