Open main menu

Hamilton, George, arrived in Adelaide, S.A., on Oct. 1st, 1829, with cattle from Port Phillip (now Victoria), and in 1848 was appointed second clerk in the Colonial Treasury, afterwards undertaking the management of the Bullion Office. In 1853 he entered the police force, and was appointed Commissioner in 1867. This post he held till 1882, when he retired. He was the originator of the Adelaide Club, and died on August 3rd, 1883.