The New International Encyclopædia/Arkansas City
ARKANSAS CIT′Y. A city in Cowley Co., Kan., 55 miles south by east of Wichita; on the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fé, the Missouri Pacific, the St. Louis and San Francisco. and other railroads (Map: Kansas, F 4). It is near the confluence of the Arkansas and Walnut rivers, which are connected by a canal which furnishes water-power for manufacturing. The city is the centre of a highly productive agricultural and stock-raising country; manufactures, flour, lumber, windmills, mattresses, ice, yeast, carriages, and creamery products; and from its location near the southern boundary of Kansas, has an important trade with the Indian agencies and military posts in Indian Territory and Oklahoma. The principal features of interest are the United States Indian School, the high-school and opera-house buildings, two parks, with several bridges across the canal and the Arkansas and Walnut rivers. Settled in 1870, Arkansas City was incorporated the following year. It is governed under a revised charter of 1880, which provides for a mayor, biennially elected, and a city council. The water-works are owned and operated by the municipality. Population, in 1890, 8347; in 1900, 6140.