The New International Encyclopædia/Canal Dover
CANAL DOVER. A manufacturing city in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, 75 miles south of Cleveland, on the Tuscarawas River, the Ohio Canal, and the Cleveland and Pittsburg, the Cleveland, Lorain and Wheeling, and other railroads (Map: Ohio, G 4). It has coal, iron, and other mineral deposits in the vicinity, and manufactures sheet iron, steel, tin, pig iron, flour, racing wagons and sulkies, sadirons, baby-carriages, corrugated rooting, boiler-plates, etc. Settled in 1807, Canal Dover was incorporated in 1865. The government, under a charter of 1900, is vested in a mayor, elected every two years, and a city council. The municipality owns and operates the water-works. Population, in 1890, 3470; in 1900, 5422.