The New International Encyclopædia/Kearny
KEARNY, kär'nī. A town in Hudson County, N. J., on the Passaic River, opposite Newark, and on the Erie and other railroads (Map: New Jersey, D 2). It is a residential suburb of Newark and New York, and has a State soldiers' home, a Roman Catholic protectory, and an Italian orphan asylum. There are important manufactures of linoleum, cotton and linen thread, roofing material, white metal, brass novelties, metal bedsteads, etc. The government, under a charter of 1895, is vested in a town council, which includes one member elected at large for a term of two years, who acts as mayor. Kearny was first settled by Germans, who named the place New Barbadoes. Later it was comprised within the limits of Harrison, of which it remained a part until separately incorporated in 1871, when it was named after Gen. Philip Kearny. Population, in 1900, 10,896.