The New International Encyclopædia/Newark (Ohio)
NEWARK. A city and the county-seat of Licking County, Ohio, 33 miles east of the State capital, Columbus; at the junction of the forks of the Licking River, and on the Pennsylvania and the Baltimore and Ohio railroads (Map: Ohio, F 5). It has also good interurban electric railway service. Situated in a plain surrounded by hills. Newark is attractively laid out, twelve miles of its streets being paved with vitrified brick. The Auditorium, a memorial to the soldiers and sailors who died in the Civil War, is one of the finest theatres in the State. Two of the most extensive earthworks of the mound-builders are here, comprising a circular embankment, one mile in circumference, and a larger series of fortifications, called the Octagon Fort. Tributary to the city are fertile agricultural sections, and areas of natural gas, coal, and sandstone. The manufacturing interests are very important, the establishments including electric car works, table glassware and bottle works, locomotive shops of the Baltimore and Ohio, stove foundries, bent-wood works, rope-halter factory, hardwood sawmill, cigar factory, engine and machine works, and iron foundry, agricultural implement works, flouring mills, carriage factory, chemical laboratory, etc. Newark was settled in 1801, and was laid out as a town in the following year. Population, in 1890, 14,270; in 1900, 18,157.