The New International Encyclopædia/South Bethlehem
SOUTH BETH′LEHEM. A borough in Northampton County, Pa., 56 miles north by west of Philadelphia; on the Lehigh River, opposite Bethlehem, and on the Lehigh Valley and the Philadelphia and Reading railroads (Map: Pennsylvania, F 3). Lehigh University (q.v.), a non-sectarian institution opened in 1866, occupies a site overlooking the borough. Noteworthy are the Bishop Thorp Seminary for Girls and Saint Luke's Hospital. South Bethlehem is known for its iron and steel manufactures. The total capital invested in the various industries in the census year 1900 was $8,713,185, and the value of their output was $10,964,911. There are the large establishment of the Bethlehem Iron Company, and brass works, zinc works, and manufactories of silk, knit goods, brick, etc. Population, in 1890, 10,302; in 1900, 13,241.