The New International Encyclopædia/Southbridge
SOUTH′BRIDGE. A town, including two villages, in Worcester County, Mass., 20 miles south by west of Worcester; on the Quinebaug River, and on the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad (Map: Massachusetts, C 3). It has manufactories of spectacles and eyeglasses, shuttles and shuttle-irons, knives, and cotton and woolen goods. The government is administered by town meetings. Population, in 1890, 7665; in 1900, 10,025. Originally a part of Charlton and popularly called ‘Honest Town,’ Southbridge became a parish in 1801 and was incorporated as a town, under its present name, in 1816. Consult Davis, A Historical Sketch of Sturbridge and Southbridge (Brookfield, 1856).