Dover, N. H., a city of southeastern New Hampshire, close to the Maine boundary and about 12 miles northwest of Portsmouth. It is the county-seat of Strafford County and is situated on Cocheco River, from the falls of which it derives its water-power. Being founded in 1623, it is one of the oldest towns in the state. Its site is hilly. It possesses good schools, churches and an excellent public library. It has a number of cotton-mills and print-works, besides manufactories of woolen cloths, flannels, shoes, oil-cloth, hats, caps, sandpaper and glue. Population, 13,247.